1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bikes physical size: ninja 250r vs. sv650

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Dude, Mar 10, 2011.

1. The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

Girlfriend wants to ride, bought an r6 for her but she's just too small and doesn't feel comfortable w/the weight and has trouble reaching the controls and touching the ground w/the bike lowered 3". I've gotten a lot of recommendations for the Ninja, but I'm not sold on the bike. She did sit on one at my local shop, but for what you get I feel the price is a bit steep.

I'm curious how the sv compared to the ninja250, in actual size... Seat height, distance from controls & seat, weight. Any ideas?

2. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

My fiancee rides and a couple of years ago, we were bike shopping as well. Unfortunately, the SV650 will be about the same as the R6 in height and weight. The problem is the mid section of these bikes tend to be a little wider and so for people with short inseams it feels too tall for them.

About how tall is she? my recommendation is for a pre 08 ninja 250r, I think that's about as low as they get. Trust me, we looked at a lot of bikes when we were shoping. She even had 01 F4i professionally lowered, and it helped her but it still felt intimidating to her. Before that she had a 03 ninja 250 and she loved the bike cause it was easier to ride and control, but of course she didn't like the style.

3. grantourin_90

grantourin_90 Well-Known Member

My wife went from an R6 to a 08 Ninja 250. The Ninja was perfect! She instantly rode better than she ever had. She wasn't scared anymore.

4. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

If you just want to get her comfortable, you can also try the Suzuki Savage. I think the new Savage is called the LS650. When I worked at a dealership, I learned that you can sit a shorter girl on one and she felt great. It's very short and narrow. The big thumper is easy to ride. I think first Savages were imported in the late 80's. Plus, no bodywork to replace.

Just a thought.

5. I have both a ninja 250 and an sv 650. I started out on the 250 and I still feel much more comfortable on that bike in the paddock at low speeds than I do on the sv. The sv is a lot taller and a lot heavier. Now on the track...I love the sv.

Lynda

6. Bandit730

Bandit730 Racing neophyte

How tall is your G/F? My wife rides and is 5'7" and didn't like my R6 when she sat on it, just to tall. She rides a Ninja 650R and loves it. She's able to put her feet flat on the ground at a stop so she is very comfortable on it.

Just another option since the 250 and the 650 is kind of like comparing an orange to a grapefruit IMO.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

the 250 is definitely smaller. I loved my 250R when I had it. the new honda 250 also looks to be pretty small

8. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

If you have the cash, a used Morawaki 250 would be idea. MUCH smaller than any street bike, and therefore less intimidating. The new CBR250 also looks to be quite compact, maybe smaller than the Ninja?

Another great option is a grey import 400 (VFR, CBR, ZXR etc). Great size, manageable power, good looks. Just expensive to find a clean one, and prey she doesn't crash it (factory parts are $$$$).

SVs are just small in power, not in size.

I would stay away from 125 or 250 2-stoke, unless she has experience with 2-stroke dirt bikes.

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

One of the problems with the 650R is that lowering it substantially
    requires changing the rear shock. No linkage.
    How tall you are does not matter, it's your inseam.
    26" is about as short as is comfortable with it in stock form.
    You can drop the forks some.
    I rode a Ninja 250 in Huey's endurance race.
    I fell cramped, but I'm 6'0 with a 30" inseam.

10. The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

she's 5'2"... wears a size 0-short jean, she's tiny!

11. funsizeracing

funsizeracing Well-Known Member

The SV is actually pretty big. It's wide and tall, at least it feels like to a little person. Even with no seat foam I never could touch on both sides at once.

The '08 and later 250's are lighter and narrower but she'll probably still tippy toe.

Buel Blasts are really low. There's a short seat option that gives it something like a 24" seat height.

The 620 Monster is lower than the SV but a little heavier than the 250. Been a while since I rode one but I remember the seat being a little lower than the 250. I could be wrong though.

What's her inseam?

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

How can you not love the Ninja250? Have you seen the new Honda CBR250r?

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'd for sure go with the 250

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'd go with a 250 for her, too. I started my wife on a 500 Gamma I had, and once she liked riding, I bought her a used Honda VTR250. It was so light it made her feel very comfortable.

After we had kids she quit riding.

If you buy used and she ends up not liking it, you won't lose very much money, if any, on a 250.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

my wife is 5'1" and she was able to put her foot down when she got on my 250R

16. marshdrummer

marshdrummer Well-Known Member

I have a second gen SV and purchased an '10 250r last July for my wife. The SV is much heavier, wider, taller and more of a stretch for the controls with more of a lean forward. I was teaching my wife with the SV, but as soon as we got the 250, she won't even look at it....Hell, I have fun on the 250! It's super comfy, you sit almost upright and is a blast cause it's so light! Now watching my wife try to play with my TLR is fun (scary, but fun!)....my wife is 5'3", size 6ish....(she could comfortably touch with both feet on the 250)

17. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

The new Yamaha 250 motard is also a great learner bike option, but not for a road course.

The upright position will be way more comfortable for new riders.

18. Teh_K

Teh_K Member

+1

My GF and I initially started out riding 98+ Katanas, I had a 750 and her a 600. We lowered hers a little, but she was still in the same boat - it just felt big, heavy, too tall, etc, and she was generally intimidated by it. We got her a 09 Ninja 250, and she rides better than ever before. The size of it is just much more manageable.

However, she does miss the power her Kat600 had (it's all relative...), but still says that the trade-off is worth it. I wanna upgrade her to a 650r or 600rr if they're comparable in size so she can keep up :D

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You have mail.c
    I have 2 650R's for sale.

20. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Is this her first bike? if so, why would you buy her a R6?