1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike title question

Discussion in 'General' started by beechkingd, May 2, 2009.

1. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I'm buying an XR400 that has its manufacturer certificate of origin signed to the original owner and copies of the bill of sale from him to the current owner. If I take them to the DMV with a have a bill of sale from the current owner to me do you think they will accept it? l

2. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

NO

It sucks, but I've been through that exact same thing with the DMV here in VA a ton of times. Unless the original MSO is signed over to YOU personally from the Dealer or place of original purchased, then you are screwed on that one.
    The DMV in VA will require the original purchaser of the bike who had the MSO issued to him to title the bike, pay sales tax, and then sign it over to you. I searched for loopholes for a while, and wasn't able to figure any realistic way around it. VA has a huge boner for their sales tax and is really strict about transfer of title...
    The best solution I came up with was to file a mechanics lean on my own bike and title it to myself that way...

3. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

I'd say your best chance is to try to get in contact with the original MSO holder and have him write you a bill of sale and try to completely cut out the middleman you bought the bike from so the DMV knows nothing about it...

4. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

Are you trying to make it street legal?

5. beechkingd

I'm planning to do the conversion if I can get the paperwork straight.

6. gqnugget

gqnugget Well-Known Member

Yes with that paperwork in the state of virginia there is a way to do it, but you may have to pay tax again.

7. beechkingd

I found this law in the DMV rules, and since it is a 2004 it should apply.

It sounds like if I have proof of ownership I will be issued a title. I guess I will give it a try.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-644.1