1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike running like crap

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GrantMLS, Sep 27, 2004.

1. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

Friend is having a hell of a time with a bike.. its a GSXR400... He got it running, but only on 2 cylinders. When he gives it gas it dies on him. He tried to sync the carbs, but not enough vacum to pull the merc.. Compresstion on alll four cylinders are fine and the carbs ahve been cleaned out. Also spark/coils are fine with new plugs. Eventually it will run on all 4 (30 minutes) but still runs like crap...
    any suggestions?
    :beer:

2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

It sounds like there is still some crud in the carbs, especially if there is no vacuum. Also, check for air leaks at the carb boots.

The only other thing, and this is a long shot, is the CDI box. The GSXR400and the Bandit 400 share the same motor, and I believe the same black box. I know the Bandit's are notorious for bad boxes, whick make the bike run like crap.

I'd love to see this bike some time. I really love the little inline four bikes.

3. fastzx9

fastzx9 Well-Known Member

GSXR 400?? I never knew there was such a thing. Sounds cool. like the FZR 400. I saw a ZXR 400 Kawi the other day, a 1991 model shipped here from Japan. Has inverted forks, and looks like the 750. The guy says it's really fast for a 400.
    GSXR 400.....that blows me away. When were they made and where did they sell them?

4. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

thought the GSF400 had differnt cams so the CDI would be differnt? Gues I will check in to that (I happen to have a gsf400).. Pulled the carbs part again and nothing blocked and all vacum lines are sealed so weird.. thanks.

not sure what year but made through the 90's..