1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike recommendations for newby, 125cc, 250cc...

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by rountree_racing, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Hi, I am considering chasing after my childhood dream of amateur road racing.

I have been looking at various bikes including GP bikes and converting road bikes to race spec or at least tuning them and prepping them for the race track.

I am interested in starting off in the 125cc or 250cc.

I’ve been told that I should start off with a used 1996~2000 125cc GP bike, a TZ125, RG125, or RS125.

Unfortunately this seems a little expensive for a beginner, 3 to 5k for a decent setup.

I had in mind to get a standard 250cc street bike like a Honda CB250, CBR250, Kawasaki Ninja 250, or a Suzuki RG250, and tuning it a little and using that to start off…

Does anyone have any suggestion or recommendation to guide me in the right direction so I am not wasting money and learning as much as possible???

Thanks

2. AER

AER Well-Known Member

You can forget those street based 250 4 strokes,( and some of those are hard to find) look closely at a 125, even an older one, learn on that and then move up if you like it to a 95 or newer machine (RS) . I personally think that is a really good way to learn, 125 > 250 and so on....

3. throttle

throttle Well-Known Member

A street 250 (Aprilia, RGV) or a 125 is about as cheap as it gets. Once you get the bike and your setup, you should be able to do a weekend for around $500 (depending on alot). We have a good Aprilia 250 for sale.

4. jackb-125

jackb-125 Well-Known Member

Ditto on those last two responses, stay away from the 4-stroke 250s. A cheap used 125 with spares is a good way to see if you enjoy it. Also, these bike tend to retain their value so a bike you purchase now will be worth WAY more than a track day 4-stroke down the road.

That said, I am selling my 1993 Honda RS125 with spares for $2000.

If you would like more info, see post below or drop me an email.

jack

5. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of maintenance on 125s. They're not toys like SVs or other street-based bikes. You have to be pretty close with your jets to be competitive and replace stuff* often or risk the bike failing which could be nasty, locking up the rear wheel from seizure or chain breaking. An SV would be a lot of fun.

*top end $113 every 300mi, chain $40 300mi, cylinder replace $600 or replate $250 1,200mi, Crank $300 1,200mi. And you have to constantly check reeds, sparkplug, tape the radiator for proper temperature, mix the fuel. There's just a lot of stuff to do.

SV650s usually go for $3-4k. Here's one on ebay currently at $2700 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180004456078

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Yeah, but unlike an SV, 125 isn't a lame turd to ride :crackup:

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Hmmm.... my lame turd was 10 seconds faster than your 125 at RA... :Poke:

But, who's counting... :D

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I will give you that, you rode the turdbox well at RA. Still doesnt change anything :D

9. throttle

throttle Well-Known Member

Um, To stay at the top of the hill on a four stroke you have to rebuild every 300-500 miles also. Think about that cost. You haven't looked at the service limits on the new bikes have you? The work done a 125 or 250 is preventive, on an sv its because its BROKE.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

But it was also 6.4 seconds slower than a certain other 125 at RA.

but who's counting....:moon: :moon:

11. Lawn Dart

Oh, it was slower than a few other 125s... I'm not disputing that... only the "turdbox" status... :D

Besides, I have to give Alex some crap - he loves SVs, he's just afraid to admit it.

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Oh, I love SV'S as much as I love cancer, or playing drunk russian roulette, or cheap bottle of vodka morning hangover........

One day you will see teh light :D best beginner bike, my ass

13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

14. Lawn Dart

That it is... :D

15. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

If you want to develop your skill, both riding and wrenching, and experience a two wheeled sensation that you never imagined then I'd suggest the GP bike. The wrenching isn't difficult or necessarily expensive in my experience. When you get fast on a GP bike you'll be fast on any bike.

Operating costs for a year on a SV and Aprilia RS250 were the same in my accounting. The riding experience was far different.

16. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

well since an aprilia RS250 isnt exactly a GP bike......

17. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

Aprilia cup bike good way to get a taste though

I wanted to try a 2-stroke with not much knowledge or experience behind me from an fzr400. The Aprilia is a great bike and, while not putting out the hpa true gp bike does, it is a great tool for learning to go fast and to learn about and experience a two-stroke. Especially if you are daunted by the maintenance, which granted is easy from those who have done it a few times but maybe not for someone who is not scared of wrenching but does not know what they are doing quite yet on these machines.

I want to move to a gp bike and hope to find a mentor who can offer some guidance and answer the 'is this on right' and 'is it supposed to smoke this much?' questions. I would suggest you do the same as it seems the 2 stroke guys are always willing to share knowledge to get another into the 'tribe'!

That said- anyone interested in a 99 Aprilia 250, 2k miles in SoCal?
    - anyone have a 125 or 250 gp bike for sale in SoCal?
    - anybody in SoCal riding a gp bike that would let me ask em all kind of obvious questions and look at their bike?
    Thanks and good luck!
    Brian

18. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

rountree , dont ever ride a true gp bike , it will spoil you silly & wreck your mind forever , you will hate all other motorcycles & never feel right on anything else ever again .

19. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

say wha? From what I've heard from people going from 125s to 600s, the 600 is an easier bike to ride but it's more physically demanding.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How tall are you? You have an experience riding on the track (trackdays)?

Forget diesel 250's, they're total turds.