1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bike head shake

Discussion in 'General' started by sixgun, Jan 30, 2002.

1. sixgun

sixgun Well-Known Member

Hey I have got a problem that I cant seem to fix. I have a 2000 R6 and if u let go of the handle bars it will shake like crap. I checked the rotors and stem nut but nothing seemed wrong. I have a used front tire on it I thought it maybe out of round. any input would be good.

2. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

how is tread on front and rear tire?

tire pressure?

head bearings?

how fast are you going, and on what type of surface?

steering dampener?

too many variables to make a guess. And why do you need to let go of the bars?

3. Critter

Critter Registered

let me know what tire brand you are on and what the wear looks like

4. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

Junk the tire before you kill yourself.

------------------
    97 GSXR 750

5. Put it in 6th gear and let it coast and I bet the headshake goes away...

6. sixgun

sixgun Well-Known Member

I am running rennsport rs1 front&rs2 rear.The wear looks fine to me. i have a scotts damper.the road is smooth no rough places. The shake is about 1/4'' side to side.this is when slowing.tire pressure is 34 front and 34 rear. The reason i let go of the bars is because i was taking the bike out today since it was warm to run the motor some since it has been awhile since i raced it. My hands started going numb and as i was coming up to a stop sign i released the bars and then noticed it. i tryed it several times after that to be sure is really saw what i thought.

7. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

rear pressure seems about four lbs too much, maybe 5, but that is just how i run them. don't think that would cause a shake.

8. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Has the bike ever been down?

Maybe there is an alignment problem.

9. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Don't let go of the handlebars! [​IMG]

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Sounds liek a bad/worn front tire too me. I've had 2 bad front Dunlop 208's but never another brand..yet. Both times did the same thing as you described. I changed the tire no more problem. By the way both Dunlops did it brand new [​IMG]

11. Trickle X

Trickle X Instagram-regalmetalworks

ahhh the dreaded r6 curse.....its all in the tyres & ride height setup. Dunslops are the most noticeable for front head shake. Try sitting more towards the back of the bike and it will straighten right out. I found that was the only way I could offset the head shake on mine. Depends on ur weight, as it didnt affect heavier riders that co-rode the bike.

12. The manufacturer will tell you not to let go of the bars.

But I wasn't kidding when I said to do the same test, put it in 6th gear, and let it coast. It won't wobble. Then come back and ask me why!!!

13. sixgun

sixgun Well-Known Member

I will test it this weekend and let u know. I have a new set of rennsports coming and i will check that out also. I don't make a habit of leting go but i am glad i did this time. I also wanted to add the bike has lowsided but not bad and it didnt shake. That was a year ago.

14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i have a friend that has a trailer that causes this kind of thing. the rail messes up the tire and it will get just a little shimmy to it. also make sure the rime is still straight. those rims are fragile. i have one here that was part of a lowside that caused it to be unfixable

15. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

The lower triple on the R6 is a weak piont in the front end. Every time I've low sided (even an easy one) the forks get a slight twist because the lower triple bends. There is a process to sighting fork twist with the forks off the bike and still in the lower triple but it would take to long to type. Computrack can take a measurement and tell you if you have any fork twist without disassembly. It's an easy fix and could possibly be part of the problem. Then again it could be a problem and you might not know it because it's not causing your head shake problem. Something to checkout either way if the bikes been down.

16. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

I don't have the problem, but why?

17. Are you setting me up to plug my suspension?

HAHAHA!!!

Actually what happens is when Dude X is riding his cycle on the street, it has soft fork springs. This phenom can still occur even with race springs, but not usually. If Dude X is on 85s or less in his forks, and he is going along in 3rd gear about 50mph and lets go of the throttle, the bike makes a great deal of engine braking. This engine braking loads the front end of the bike, and makes it dive/ride lower. This steepens the rake angle, the trail gets very small, and then the bike starts to wobble.

This is geometry problem that is aggravated by Dunlops, because they have a very "small" front tire, and a "big" rear tire. (I am not inferring there is anything wrong with these tires).

Anyway, if you repeat the test, and put the bike in 6th gear, there will be no engine braking, the front of the bike will ride high, and the wobble will go away.

And then you can put your hands back on the bars!

18. PJ1

PJ1 Active Member

I have had a bad Dunlop 208 GP too. I replaced the rim and tire and the R6 would shake the front end from 30 to 55 mph. I thought it was the tire because the front tire would not balance out on a computerized spin balancer. I replaced the tire with new one and shake went away. The new Dunlop 208 GP balanced out.

19. sixgun

sixgun Well-Known Member

I guess the tire must be bad so far i have removed it an checked it for balance. My tires are not going to be here untill next week now. I think the forks are fine but i need to get the thing checked out. Any body got a ball park price on checking out the alignment of the bike?