1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Truck Salesperson..

Discussion in 'General' started by Millwoodva, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Millwoodva

Millwoodva Well-Known Member

Looking to purchase a new freightliner 20' box truck for our business..
    Anyone on here sell them? Would consider an F750 as well..

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you don't mind used I found some good deals at enterprise rent a truck. Mine was a lease return with only 30k miles and the savings was tremendous.

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Buy the Ford. Freightliner is not built here anymore. I used to work there but am now laid-off.

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Where do they make them now?

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

6. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

Seems to me they got in trouble and fined and part of the agreement was that they don't move the Portland operations out of the country, 3 years I believe. Why was that stipulation was written in? Not sure but I guess the prosecution smelled something.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Prolly got caught coping Kenworth's T2000 aero dynamic truck from many years ago.

8. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. akillya

The Freightliner Century Class and Cascadia are the ONLY heavy duty trucks that have ever been developed in a full sized wind tunnel. Daimler is number one in the world in heavy truck manufacturing so I doubt they copy anything from Pacar.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  10. Shenanigans

i worked at the Mt.Holly plant. There are roughly 125 people employed there now. Most ever employed at the plant was 3000. The medium duty trucks are made further south now. Below Texas

11. Shenanigans

Big rig like you have is still built in the US, the business class/med duty are not. If it wasn`t for Coca-Cola, Mt.Holly would have shut the doors earlier this year. Coke insisted their trucks be built here and had a few other orders trickle in. Whichever contract ends first, Coke or F-liner employees, Mt.Holly will close. Unless a miracle happens. I started in 98 layoff went back to 82 or so.

12. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Another reason to drink Diet Coke!:up:

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You sure about that? You think Kenworth/Peterbuilt (the number one long haul truck) lifted the design and got it out before Freightliner did?

Here read this about the wind tunnel http://www.kenworth.com/brochures/FuelEfficiency.pdf

Here read this about the aerodynamic body:
    http://www.kenworth.com/FuelEconomyWhitePaper.pdf (page 5)

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Diet Coke also has the high caffeine level of all of the Coke products. :)

15. Shenanigans

Yes sir! :rock:

16. akillya

Class 8 is long haul and Freightliner rules that market segment. Pacar ruled Premium Long Hood with Kenworth and Peterbilt. However for the last three quarters Freightliner has beat them at that as well.

Reprinted from Bulk Transporter Magazine

Daimler Trucks North America's strong performance in the United States Class 6/7 medium-duty commercial vehicle segments resulted in it surpassing its competitors in overall market share in 2007 for the first time in the company's history.

Continuing its growth trend, DTNA reported 31.5 percent of U.S. Class 6/7 market share, while Navistar International Corp. recorded 30.6 percent. DTNA increased its share by 3.5 percentage points, while International lost 6.9 percentage points in market share in 2007.

Data shows DTNA medium-duty market share was particularly strong for Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation, Thomas Built Buses, and the Freightliner Business Class M2.

DTNA also continued to be the leader in market share for Class 8 commercial vehicles, besting International by 14.6 percentage points and Paccar by 8.3 percentage points. Freightliner Trucks bested International in U.S. Class 8 by 5.1 percentage points.

17. Shenanigans

Dude, i worked there for 11 years. Not long after the article you cite was published they started laying people off at the Mt.Holly plant that built the M2 business class. Over 1500 people out of work! That article means dick!

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

My comment on number 1 was not based on sales...it was based on the quality of the truck.

And its paCCar not paCar

19. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

But I read it on the internet, it must be true.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We get it - Gary is mad he's out of a job and Sunshine wants to argue again. But the thing is, no one cares....