1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Kahuna Nationals

Discussion in 'General' started by etemplet, Jan 5, 2002.

1. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I'm planning another trip to Atlanta in May and would like some info on the tickets... from people that have been there. I attended in the rain last year and had the paddock pass/general admission ticket. I am considering the Big Kahuna or the Flagroom ticket.

What's up with the elevated walkway over the front straight? Flagroom? Preferred parking? Pit Access?

How good is the preferred parking and where is it located?

Are the restrooms or seating better with the Flagroom ticket?

Isn't the little narrow area behind the fence "the pit area"? Aren't the pits closed during the race? Why get a pit pass?

Lots of questions huh? Well, I've been there once and had a great time in the Paddock. I'm wondering if I'd have any more fun with the upgraded tickets.

Yep....I'm bringing a pit bike this year. It's way to hard to move around in a truck.

Thanks,
    Gene
    CMRA

2. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Preferred parking is generally located in the support paddock, I believe, assuming that the Flagroom is located right there at the hospitality suites on that side. However, I think the Flagroom is sometimes located in a big tent up at Vendor Village, in which case the preferred parking would probably be there. I suggest you call and ask where the Flagroom will be located this year. If it's on the front straight, fine. If it's in Vendor Village, you won't be able to see the track and probably wouldn't want to stick around too long. So seating would only be better if you're on the front straight. And yes, you have to deal with the same restrooms as everyone else. [​IMG]

The cool thing about a pit pass is that you get to go in the pits during practice and qualifying.

Hope this helps.

3. etemplet

I sure didn't get any help last year when I asked about the tickets. I'm just trying to justify an extra $40 per ticket.

I e-mailed Road Atlanta and asked....still more questions. At least I know my way around a bit and where not to park. [​IMG]

Are you guys going?

Cheers,
    Gene

PS I don't know if this is a good thing, but I am a friend of Loveable TEX (Texracer85). That's what he calls himself anyway. [​IMG]

4. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I wouldn't spend the extra money. Just buy gen admin tickets in advance and a pit pass. Camp at the track and enjoy all the hooligan parties at night. Kinda reminds of the sign we had that said "burnout you fa..." well nevermind.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll be there again, probably put the trailer more along the back straight or up above T10-11 this time.

The party Friday and Saturday really shouldn't be missed. The security guys did a good balancing act of letting people have fun but trying to keep them from killing themselves (or each other). Just make sure all pit vehicles are street licensed - they even gave me some grief on my quad (but man does it do fun burnouts).

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I personally hate camping at Rd. Atlanta. I will camp up at TWO & just commute down everyday, nice little twisty ride down ya know [​IMG] I used to camp at every Kahuna & GNF but the parties are just too much for me these days.

7. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Sorry to hear you didn't get any help. Do you remember who you spoke with? If it had been me I would have helped you! [​IMG]

IMO, there is no point in getting the Flagroom. Just get tickets that include paddock access. I like to roam when I'm spectating and wouldn't want to feel obligated to stay in the Flagroom all day. "But I paid for it, so I have to use it."

I have no idea if we'll be there or not. I would like to go.

P.S. Don't tell people you are a friend of Tex's. It will ruin your reputation. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Tom's Inflatable Woman (edited 01-06-2002).]

8. suzookusmaximus

suzookusmaximus New Member

I thought the Flagroom access was pretty good. It was a big tent directly across from the pits. For your extra money they provided lunch and drinks (beer/cokes/water -- $1 tip to the server was what they cost me). Also in the tent they had close circuit TV displaying the race. This was great during the rain (and HAIL) or just for relaxing in the shade.

The preferred parking was just behind the tent. It's over by the broadcast tower and the Panoz garage.

I don't think the seating is better with Flagroom access. Actually IMO it sucked because of how the front straight is so far away on that side. A few times the guards let us down to the chain fence (in the alternate pit area) by the straight. That was great cause you were right above the race. For some reason on the second day they wouldn't let us in. Paddock/Pit access is a must! IMO no reason to go with out it.

9. suzookusmaximus

PS -- The paddock is open during races as is the "cold pit." Only the "hot pit" is closed during the race. Last year you could buy hot pit acess. I ordered to late to get it last year, but it allowed you do go out to the wall by the track. I didn't see it for sale on RA's web site this year.

10. suzookusmaximus

PS -- The paddock is open during races as is the "cold pit." Only the "hot pit" is closed during the race. Last year you could buy hot pit acess. I ordered to late to get it last year, but it allowed you do go out to the wall by the track. I didn't see it for sale on RA's web site this year.

11. etemplet

Obviously I didn't speak to you. [​IMG] I asked questions but....ended up fending for myself. My wife and I are into the roam around thing, that's all we did and had a great time. We don't want to be tied down to a specific area either.

What about the Big Kahuna Ticket? It has everything but the Flagroom, doesn't it?

Thanks,
    Gene

12. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

You are so off next years Christmas card list!!! [​IMG]

13. etemplet

T-t-t-t-Tex is mah bestus buddy and..and..and good friend.

Gene

14. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Fine, then, we'll take you off ours! [​IMG]

15. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

We usually ride bikes up for the weekend. The previous couple of years I bought the flagroom tickets, because I wanted it to be as positive as possible for my girlfriend's first race weekend experiance.
    The weather was perfect and we had a great time.
    This (last) year I decided to be cheap and just get Sat. general admission, buy food/beer from town, and squat in the infield overnight. And of course, it rained, we got soaked. wa wa wa... Yeah the parties were still fun, but the weekend was a whole order of magnitude less fun than if we'd bought the flagroom tickets...

------------------
    James Greeson
    Senior Wannabe,
    GS Posse

16. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

You should have bought tickets to the TIW, Tardholio and WERA516 Freak Show back at the hotel. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

ha! I'd like to KEEP my GF....

I did walk up,down and around the hill behind turn 5 for folks but couldn't find anyone but the Josh fan club... [​IMG]

18. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

I was working the Roadracing World booth, so a lot of BBS'ers probably met me and didn't know it.