1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycle Training Stand

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Jan 11, 2019.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Hello All,

Any of you guys have a bicycle training rear stand (not sure if that's what they are actually called) that will work on an older bicycle ( Giant ATX ).

Not looking to blow a ton of cash, just be able to use bike during the winter ( we are getting 10" of snow tonight).

Any help appreciated.

thanks
    M

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've had little interest in stationary riding equipment, but the ones that have multiple rollers where you have to maintain balance do appeal to me.
    [​IMG]

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I use a Wahoo Kickr and TrainerRoad, but that doesn't fall into the "not looking to blow a ton of cash" side of things. If you aren't looking for a smart trainer to use with an app or your computer, look at the Cycleops fluid trainer. You can likely find one used cheap wherever you are.
    But be sure to also buy a slick rear tire for your mountain bike, as it will be loud as all get-out with a knobby - not to mention it will tear that knobby tire up.

Cannoli and cha0s#242 like this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I just have a regular Elite trainer. Kurt Kinetic is also the reference if you want to stay in the "dumb" ones. If you want to Zwift or do any kind of virtual cycling, you might want to look into smart trainers like the Tacx Neo or the Wahoo Kickr, but be prepared to spend North of 1500$.

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

+1 on the Cyclops

6. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

RRP likes this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive got a Kinetic Road Machine. they go for about $250. it works well enough. any bike with quick-release axles will fit in it. if you have thru-axles, ull need to buy an adapter axle.

8. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

I got my Neo Tacx on sale for $1100 . I think retail is $1299 and the Kickr is less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cannoli likes this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Search "fluid trainer" or "bicycle trainer" on your local craigslist. You want one that is adjustable and less than $100. They will work on pretty much any tire that is 26-29" in diameter.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

If interested, I have a set of Minoura rollers.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Curious, which model?

12. speedluvn

I don’t see a model but they’re mag rollers. They definitely help with your bike handling skills.

Newsshooter likes this.
  13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Search "affordable bicycle trainers" on Amazon and there are some very basic ones starting around $40.

14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I use a Wahoo Kickr as well and absolutey love it! I ride at least 10 miles a day and most days ride 20+ doing the group meet-ups on and different events on Zwift.

I picked mine up on Craig’s List for a killer price, but they are hard to come by used. CycleOps and many others are regularly on Craig’s List for <$120. Check it out, you won’t be disappointed, especially if you get a smart trainer that works with Zwift.

TurboBlew and michaelrc51 like this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I swear I was the last person to get a Garmin... not sure why I waited so long.
    The 520 bundle is like $250 for the computer, cadence, wheel speed, and HR sensor.
    Makes getting the metrics to Zwift super easy.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Company I deal with drop ships to my customer.
    I can get you any Cycleops @ just above cost & shipping/drop ship fee.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. speedluvn

I have a Schwinn Fitness IC Pro. What’s the cheapest I can get into making it a “smart spin bike” to use on Swift?

Looking to make my spin sessions more interesting, again.

18. speedluvn

Be careful going too “inexpensive” on the rear wheel trainers cause when the trainers go below a certain price, stability of the unit is affected.

G Dawg likes this.
  19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I’ve got a Cycleops Fluid 2 and it works well. I just got a Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor so I can start zwift with it. You don’t have to have a smart trainer to zwift, they know what the power curve is with popular trainers and knowing how much power you are making (along with how much you weigh), zwift can calculate your speed on flats and up and down hills. I guess it just shows your speed coming coming down for hills instead of the resistance getting higher. If you want to go faster, put out more power. A Bluetooth sensor plus a laptop, iPad, or an Apple TV 4K and you can zwift without a $600+ trainer. I’m going to register and try it out tomorrow in fact.

20. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

trainers suck. spin class doesn't. you fill in the blanks.