1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycle Seats

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 6, 2011.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

When they first appeared on the market they marketed a wider saddle for woman. Are they now including saddles for men?

2. speedluvn

From my experience rocking of the hips indicates that you may have your seat post too high.

3. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

Most good bike shops will give you a 90 day return window on a seat because until you ride it for a while, its hard to know if its right for you. Have the bike fit folks put the seat on the bike & set it up for you, that way if you don't like it, you can take it back to them and they will try something else.

Friend of mine had to try 4 seats until he found one that worked for him, but he only paid for one.

And the right tilt of the seat will really depend on the height and angle of the stem and where your bars are and how YOU ride.

Go get a professional fit. Its the best $80-100 you will ever spend on cycling if you ride more than 30 miles a week. I don't change anything now without taking my bike to my fit guy. Saddle, cleats, shoes, etc. All of it impacts your riding position and comfort.

4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

ha! funny thing about that is... i always see this dude around who mumbles to himself and rides some old POS road bike with a pink ballerina dress on. super creepy...

but anyways... yea i might. we'll see how the mtb fairs first since it'll probably be a lot more standing. i'll consider it tho.

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Fizik Arione here also. Not the most comfy. Selle Italia makes some nice but hella expensive saddles. As previously said, a good bike fitting is essential.

6. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

flight gel, I've been riding flights for 15 years. so why have bicycle seats trippled in price in the last 10 years? esp seats like the flight that have been the same for 15 years.

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Great question!

8. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I just started to MTB again and I bought a Trek EX8 that came with a Bontrager saddle. After a few rides, I could not stand the saddle so I switched it out for my old Titec Beserkr DH saddle. I'm a happy guy now!:up:

9. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

+1 on the Brooks saddle. Once broken in it's very comfortable and does not lose its shape. It does not work on my touring bike due to different geometry. Geometry is everthing as far as comfort.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

SMP Composit. I have a Mantra, Aironne, Flite, and a few others that have been relegated since I picked up the SMP.

11. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Brooks rock... but my prostate almost fell out during the break-in period on my single speed road bike. I have a nice Selle Itallia Ti on the other eoad bike.

Bontrager makes some nice stuff. WTB is my go-to for MTB saddles, the Vigo specifially. i like the long nose and it lets me get my weight forward while climbing seated.

Don;t get caught up in what other folks ride, ride what your butt tells you it likes.

Err..... that sounded strange.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Because the average workers wage in China went from 15 cents a day to 45 cents????

13. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I didnt mean rocking while you are pedaling, side to side. I should have said "rotates" yoru hips backwards some making it so you are sitting on your site bones, not on the nose of the saddle with your taint.

Just how it was explained to me. I am nota bike fit expert. Matter of fact I am not sure my bike fits right and need to have someone smarter than me help LOL

14. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I picked up a SMP on sale to try out on the trainer. Nice saddle overall but a little wide at the back end for me. It'll be fine for inside riding though.

15. speedluvn

:up:

16. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Not sure if it's the same, I have the Selle Italia Max Flite Flow. Has a big hole in the middle that takes the pressure off your gooch. Hinkapie shorts and Chamios Butt'r. Buddy of mine swears by Assos, and I may try it after I run through the Butt'r. Before that I was using Body Glide--it does not compare to the chamios-specific products.