1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bicycle (road) advice

Discussion in 'General' started by t11ravis, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'd guess a 58 would be close or a ML on a compact frame. Used should be able to get you a decent bike for a good price, but like a told my wife, if you spend 1K and keep that bike for 10 years you spent $100/year on it. Look for Shimano 105 or Ultegra components, ultegra is better. Then get fitted on the bike, it will make a difference.

cajun636 likes this.
  2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

3. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Bicycles are for kids.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

a rider with a short inseam and long torso will fit many many frames and sizes. the short inseam means your saddle is a bit lower, which effectively moves the bars up without having to add a ton of spacers under the stem. a long torso means u can easily reach the bars on any frame, even race-y ones. I suspect you could ride almost anything from 52-58cm. you'll probably want to go for larger sizes since they'll be more comfortable for a beginner. im 5'9 with a 33" inseam and struggle to find frames that fit well because my seat is so high and the bars are too low.

oh, and your pant inseam is somewhat useless. the real way to measure inseam is as follows. stand back to a wall barefoot. take a 1" wide book and shove the binding side up your crotch. make sure that one side of the book is against the wall so its all square. measure from the book to the floor.

without knowing more about what, where, how far, and how often u intend to ride, its difficult to recommend a bike/brand/model. if u are only going to ride on a bike path for 10-15mi, get a $500 hybrid. if u want to ride 20-100mi a day, spend >$1000 on a real road bike with modern components. if u have any intention of riding on dirt roads, get a gravel bike.

btw, bike paths often suck for serious riding because of foot traffic and slower riders.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Buy one with a motor. Don't hold up traffic.

6. Venom51

any way you slice it they suck less than being hit by a 5000 lbs. object moving 40 mph.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

So do your exercise in the middle of the street where people are trying to get somewhere because fuck them.

8. stangmx13

the same could be said about the small groups of walkers that walk side-by-side, take up an entire path, and don't keep right to safely yield to faster moving traffic.

if the cars cant share the road safely, ill gladly exercise in the middle of the street. but thats not common where I live because there are a ton of cyclists so most everyone (cars and bikes) is nice about it.

9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Get a mountain bike, avoid Venom running you off the road. Everybody wins.

KrooklynSV, Senna, Venom51 and 2 others like this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

As a somewhat former roadie, I'd have to agree with this conclusion.

My parents hated motocross and anything with two wheels and a motor, so I took up road bike racing in high school.

It was great fun back then, but I've had some....unpleasant experiences with drivers in the past, and this was before iPhones were really widespread.

It's only gotten worse out on the roads. Drivers are less attentive than ever. The past few times I've ridden on the road have not been pleasant. I always have this feeling that I'm going to get splattered on the hood of an F-350 brodozer.

My state had five cities (five!) top the list of most dangerous cities for cyclists in the US - that's half the fucking list!

I still have my road bike, but I recently picked up an XC mtb that, if it ever stops raining, I think will be where I spend most of my cycling time. It's not quite as outright fast as the road bikes, but we have enough decent enough trails near me to make it exciting and interesting.

I know you're in Florida and it's not going to be a mtb mecca like Colorado or California, but there may be some decent trails near you that could make it worthwhile. A gravel-oriented drop bar bike might be worth checking out too.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

C93F105A-D0FF-478A-93C9-E0CBF027F499.jpeg
    This is what happened last time I was on the road with Kenny.

cajun636, SpeedyTide and TurboBlew like this.
  12. Venom51

Sorry...I was even on borrowed equipment. A man's bike...the Skirt V. Did I create such a vacuum when I went by that the bike got sucked out from under you? :D

That is the only time I have ever turned any laps on an SV.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    t11ravis likes this.
  13. stangmx13

Gravel FTW! I like the extra route options when u add in easy and moderate dirt roads and trails. im still riding my AL road bike with 25C tubeless tires on gravel roads. but im picking up a real gravel bike within a few weeks.

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

cha0s#242 likes this.
  15. socal

socal Well-Known Member

When you measure they way
    When measured as Stangmx13 correctly suggested, you will have more than a 31" inseam. I'm guessing you will fit a 56 with a long stem 130mm-?

The goofy apparel has a purpose. The shorts with a pad will allow you to ride comfortably longer. They protect against chafing and displace weight. A Jersey has pockets, wicks sweat and does not flap in the wind. Gloves often have padding which helps with absorbing the road vibration. Clipless pedals provide for power on up stroke and down stroke. The cycling shoe has a stiff sole which transfers power efficiently and reduces fatigue. Collectively, this stuff makes a big difference esp on longer rides.

I ride with a pulsating red light attached to my helmet and a strobe light on my handelbars- day and night. They are each 250 Lumens.; and, I can tell you with certainty the headlight during the daytime has made drivers stop from pulling out in front of me.

Craigslist is a great suggestion for buying used. A bike for $1,000 +/- with Shimano 105 or better yet Ultegra is a great entry point. You can always upgrade the wheels later.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

try a 56. Better to raise the seat post and put a longer stem on than going with a larger frame.
    Tis the size I ride.

It was mentioned earlier about a "cross" bike... basically a road bike with wider tires, disc brakes, and capable of traveling
    on gravel/unpaved surfaces. Then you can ask Cohorn what trails he rides his MTB and join him! :D

I prefer to be "clipped in". No real down side to it other than if you use the bike to commute.

Fit is the most important thing. If you buy a bike from a shop...they usually give you can hours worth of fitting the bike for no charge. Also they typically service the bike for free (labor) plus any parts.

17. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Like some have said.....56 sounds like it'll be your size, but like others have said....go to a good bike shop and get fitted. Your long upper torso will likely require a stem change.

For starting regular pedals are fine. If you find yourself riding often, and putting in some good mileage, then you may want to go clipless. I had them, and ditched'em for flat since I don't ride too often, and not many miles when I do. AND, my T2 transitions are usually faster than everyone's :D!

Bike shorts, Mtn Bike shorts.....either is fine as long as they're padded. Your azz with thank you!
    PLEASE!!! DO NOT get of of those sperm looking bike helmets :Puke:!!! I WILL NOT ride with you if you do!

OH!! And get a full Carbon bike! Feel much less vibration than aluminum! Specialized, Cannondale, FELT, etc., are all good bikes for the normal Joe rider. As far as components.... if Shimano - get as least the 105, but would go Ultegra or better. I have SRAM Apex, which is equivalent to Shimano 105, and it's good enough for me. SRAM Rival is equivalent to the Shimano Ultegra. Can't go wrong with either brand, and the components gets nicer & pricier than what we've listed.

So, you have running shoes. You're looking at a road bike. Get some tri-shorts, and I'll see 'ya in Fairhope for The Grandman Tri early June!! ;)

t11ravis likes this.
  18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I have to say that I'm a big fan of aluminum road bikes. There are some absolutely kickass aluminum road bikes now, and I would take a CAAD12, Allez Sprint or Emonda ALR over any lower end carbon frame.

The Allez Sprint outtests quite a few carbon frames in terms of stiffness. I rode this bike tonight at a local shop and it was pretty slick, although I'm not the biggest fan of 105.

I find aluminum gives a ton of feedback. Tire width will do more for ride quality than frame material, in my experience. I'd rather be on an aluminum bike and 28s vs. carbon and 23s or 25s, if comfort was my goal.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-sprint-comp-disc/p/154235

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Have you messed around with CX at all? It's huge in my area. I think it looks kind of silly, though, and I don't really care for running with my bike on my shoulder.

20. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

Sounds like where I used to ride in Baldwin. If you ride before the sun comes up, bring something to cover your mouth/nose due to the bugs. I have a one piece cushioned seat suit. Looks like a wrestling singlet. You’ll be thankful for the access during pit stops. Grab a repair kit and 2 water bottles that mount to your bike. I concur with lights front and back and I wear a reflective belt also.