1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better racing platform: ZX-6R vs GSX-R600

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I made a similar post a couple of years ago, but I ended up going a different direction. I was racing a 2011 ZX-6R for a few years, and then I took a break from that to do the R3 and the occasional Twins race on a borrowed bike. I'm ready to make the step back up to 600s; Daddy needs power.

Ultimately, I'm looking for some feedback on what would be a better race platform between the latest generation ZX-6R and GSX-R600. I'd likely be buying a leftover 2018 in either model.

I know the R6 is the obvious choice for the class, but I don't want to go down that route. My primary issue is the seat height on that thing. I'm short, and the R6 is a pain. I want to ride it on the street for a few months until I get a new dedicated street bike, and I don't want to bother with the R6 seat height for that.

Watching the MotoAmerica rounds, I'd see about 4 Suzukis and 20 (or more) Yamahas on the 600 grid. I don't think I saw any other manufacturers this year. I was surprised that I didn't see any ZXs, but I might have missed them.

Which one is easier to build / setup? Which one is more of a 'known entity' for geometry and setup numbers? Which is easier to work on or do maintenance on? Which one has more parts availability? Stability and handling are the most important thing to me. I'm keeping the motor mechanically stock; I have built-in power-to-weight ratio with my diminutive stature. When I raced my 2011 ZX, I felt like nobody really knew what to do with it. I got a lot of feedback to upgrade to a 13+ or to go to a different manufacturer. I don't like to tinker a lot; I want something that I can get a good baseline with and ride. It will see track and race duty quite a bit, but I'd like to minimize the need to make major setup changes between tracks.

Any advice? If it were your money, what would you build and why?

2. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

The GSXR is like a decade old. The new 19 ZX6 just got a price drop to $9999 and the fancy electronics from its big brother. Other than a little delay in parts availability because the 19 is a new bike I think it's a no brainer.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Greenhound386

I see the logic, but why don't we see any ZXs on the MA grids? On the other hand, the GSXRs are the only other platform out there besides the Yamahas.

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Assuming you are buying a used bike anyway, just go with whatever your local tuner knows better. There isn't much in any of them until you are chasing lap records. Unless you get the Hon-Duh.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

R6.

track wagon likes this.
  6. 392

392 Well-Known Member

R6. Easy.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's probably hard to count the m4 Suzuki's as a nod for Suzuki with m4s relationship with Suzuki I doubt they paid for the bikes... And would probably be on yamahas if they could.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Of the two I'd go gixxer.

Prospect likes this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Are you planning on racing MotoAmerica?

10. Greenhound386

I'd like to do the Laguna round again (did it this year), and might add Miller and/or Sonoma depending on a few variables.

11. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Kawi hasn't put bikes into the U.S. series. They do well at the world level though so its definitely not that it's an incapable bike by any means. I personally love the 13+ zx6r. The motor is just stupid easy to make HP with. Jason Ferrell has done some stuff on the zx6 and is an accessible person.

You mentioned ''known entity". That's a question to where you are basing your knowledge. Anything on the internet? You can find plenty of setups for all the bikes. Your personal/pro tuner? Ask him which bike to get/which on they like to work on. Suspension help, Thermosman seems to have baselines for most bikes I've ever asked him about. You should be able to find knowledgeable people on any of the bikes honestly.

Greenhound386 likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Is the Kawi better on Dunlops now? I know on Pirellis they fly..and I love Dunlops, but I love Kawi a little more.

Sent from my smatrfone

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

LOL! I was thinking about the "Kawasakis don't pay no 50 cents for no coke and don't like 'lops" thing last night. No idea it it's true or a wives' tale. :D

As for the Suzuki, as someone said Hammer has done well with them. Why not call CU and see what they have for sale. Race prepped and ready to go and you know they will be good.

14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

get a suzuki. :D

15. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Get the new kwakasaki

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Shane Richardson looked fairly strong on it last year.

[​IMG]

17. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

^ That's last year. And why was the 636 ever allowed to run in superstock spec anyway? I've always hated that

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  18. I could be wrong, but I believe it was given a weight penalty to account for the extra cc’s.

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Cant speak why they arent on MA, but in the Midwest ZX6s do pretty well at regional level. You dont see many Suzukis either.

20. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Here in Canada it's the 636 also, cause all 599 of Kawi are in the WSS and in the Europeen & Asian circuit.
    So nothing left for North America, hence the reason to allow them in our CSBK series.

I ride the 636 and love that bike. Always rode Kawi just cause of the way they plant themselves well on track.
    It's not as point-and-shoot like the R6 but like you, I also don't like the seating position on it.

Ride feel, the ZX6r and Gixxer pretty much feel the same. So ergonomically you'll enjoy either. But if you have a soft spot for the Green, then Go Green or Go Home :p lol

As mentioned, good power and easy to make more ponies with less money.

Hope it helps.

Greenhound386 likes this.