1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to repair Kickstand hole?

Discussion in 'General' started by AFORREST4, Dec 13, 2009.

1. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

Picked up a spare set of track plastic, but previous owner cut a hole for a kick stand. What is the best way to repair it?
    I have repaired wrecked plastic with fiberglass, but they were cracks and small holes. This one is about 3" by 5".

2. 05red600

05red600 Well-Known Member

get some fiberglass matt and cut some sections big enough to cover area then apply the fiberglass let it set up. then smooth it out and put some body filler over it smooth that out and prime it should be easy fix just takes some time.

3. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

You can buy a fiberglass kit at Walmart :up:

4. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

Automotive section?

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yep, you can also buy the kits at pretty much any automotive store as well (pep boys, advance, auto zone, ect.)

6. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

yes

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

As far as the best way to repair it:

- prepare site by sanding.
    - I'd cut the patch at least an inch larger than the hole on all sides, saturate it with the resin or imho use epoxy resin (not as brittle) and place it on the inside. I'd cut a piece of heavy paper (cereal box) as a pattern for the inside as well so the wet matte doesn't lose shape and just tape it up inside there.
    - then depending on the thickness of the matte you're using cut a few the same size as the hole, saturate with resin and fit them neatly within the hole. By doing this you wont have to use bondo or excessively build up the resin so it's flush with the rest of the body work on the good side of the fairing.

8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Aluminum tape works better then using cardboard IMO. It forms curves easier and it peels off cleanly when it cures. Try to avoid using any bondo if possible.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I just did this a couple weeks ago. I used cardboard with plastic wrap over it taped to the outside of the lower, but the aluminum tape idea sounds good too. I get my materials from TAP plastics, they have rolls of cloth for putting over seams that works well for patching or you can have them cut a yard off the large rolls. Then you can cut it to the shape you need for the repair. I coat the edges of the fairing with resin and let it cure a few minutes till it's tacky, then lay in the first layer of cloth so that the edges stick to it. I use cheap chip brushes from Harbor Freight to add resin to the cloth. You'll want a few layers of cloth. Try to use as little resin as possible yet still make sure all the cloth is saturated.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Stick an EBC sticker over the hole and go racing.

11. KillerCam

KillerCam KillerCam Racing

Put the Kickstand back on