1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Protective Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by jdavis6446, Jun 14, 2018.

1. jdavis6446

jdavis6446 Well-Known Member

I lurk but do not post much.
    After 5 years away from racing because of a serious injury I am thinking about racing again.
    What is the very best (cost is not much a factor) that provides state of the art protection for the spine.
    I am fused T3 to T8 because of the 2013 accident.
    Previously used "hit air" vest that worked great. I also used a chest and back protector.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the A* TechAir is built into a massive back protector thats like a turtle shell. id be surprised if you can get more protection than that, esp when their airbag is included.

3. jdavis6446

jdavis6446 Well-Known Member

Looks great.
    What is the best boot, comfort and protection?
    The gloves and helmets I like are still available.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Can't remember the boot's brand name, but the model was a Daytona. Hinged carbon fiber inner boot...was supposed to be the best protection available. I think they were around $800 when they first came out 20 years ago. Prolly less expensive today, if they still make 'em. Can't speak to their comfort...that's kinda like helmets, they fit or they don't.
    I've had Dainese (tight toes), Fieldsheer (not enough protection), Ox (painful, no arch support and a sole like flat steel), Sidi (too narrow) and A*...lotsa A*s, they comfy. My latest A*s, SuperTechs, are prolly first gen, making them about 12(?) years old...like slippers (they have an inner boot) with top shelf protection.

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Daytona Security Evos are the current model. Think retail is $1200. Steep but worth it.
    Gloves... try on some. Best to have 2 pairs... cause your hands sweat like crazy!

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's them. Yeah, $1200 is kinda steep.
    Short story...
    Buddy was being urged to buy some, like right before a trackday at Tally. He balked at the price. That weekend he highsides in the carousel and hammerblows his heel into the pavement. He says, "Freddie, I shoulda bought them boots. They (hospital) put a sheetrock screw in to hold the bone together. Them boots woulda been a lot cheaper."

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Dainese Axial Pro's are a huge chunk of real composite around the ankle w/ a hinge. it seems like they copied Daytona's design as much as they wanted. they are just over $500. same price as the A*s but I felt the Dainese were much stiffer in all the ankle-breaking directions.

of course w/ Dainese, your boots and suit gotta match. so u might be going w/ the A* Supertechs to use their TechAir vest.

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You can buy Daytonas direct from Germany and save some dosh. In fact, with Helimot out of business I think that might be your only option.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

10. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

Agree - impact armor for back and chest protectors & Daytona's

From someone that wears both tech air and d air.

helimot looks back in business though not in CA anymore - OR?
    https://www.helimot.com