1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Lawn Mower Lift

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, May 21, 2019.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

What is this shit and how do I kill it?

IMG_20220613_124753460~2.jpg

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d have to go dig out my weed book to say for sure. But, any broadleaf post-emergent will knock it out. Ideally, you want a pre- and post-emergent, so you’re not continuously fighting it. Head to your local Site One store and have them get you lined out.

The granular I’ve repeatedly posted up will knock it out in a few days, provided you have high dew points or forecasted rain.

4. Dave Wolfe

This stuff is laughing at my generic broadleaf shit. I havent tried my Tenacity on it yet.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t think Tenacity will get it done. You need to look at Momentum. It’s a SpeedZone equivalent, minus one chemical(?). You need something that’ll knock broadleaf variants. I don’t believe Tenacity does that. If you look at the Momentum label, you’ll see there isn’t much it won’t kill. IMO, these two post-emergents are the best, if you absolutely need a liquid. I mostly used it as just a spot-spray. Otherwise, I relied on the previously mentioned granular to do the work, as it is the most cost effective way toward a great yard.

Momentum
    Label:
    https://www.siteone.com/pdf/sdsPDF?skuId=14636&resourceId=5689

Product:
    https://www.siteone.com/en/10155041-lesco-momentum-fx2-post-emergent-liquid-herbicide-1-gal/p/14636

G 97 likes this.
  6. Dave Wolfe

Thanks!

The scotts granual hasnt done squat, but I think this spray I put on it yesterday may be having an effect. Ive given the area another good spray, im crossing my fingers

7. Dave Wolfe

Im calling in the strike! Whats your lat/lon?

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Which Scott’s granular? Got a pic of the bag?

10. Dave Wolfe

Nope its gone. Its just whatever weed n feed they had.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

2-4-d for the win.
    Doubtful mesotrione will be effective on broad leafs. As a post emergent crabgrass and other grassy weeds, then yes. A simple spray of 2-4-d should do the job on all broadleaf weeds. Ortho WeedBgone works great and you can get at all the box stores even at some HyVees. It’s cheap and highly effective.

I hate weedNfeed granular products because you don’t have good control with the spreader of the weed part with carryover dust and wind when applying, especially if you have flower and veg gardens or any other number of landscape plants. Applying fert and weed killer at the same is a goofy concept anyway. Better application control for both when done separately.

also put a surfactant or a little dish soap in your spray mix. I would bet one reason why you didn’t get favorable results was because the plant shed the water off and you never got any chemical on it. Same with the weedNfeed, if your lawn wasn’t wet the majority if not all of the granular simply bounces off and drops to the ground. Which works for pre emergence herbicides but not post.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

13. Dave Wolfe

What? You want a wet lawn for grannulars? That may explain a little...

ducnut likes this.
  14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Yep, my understanding has always been that they stick to the wet leaves and do their business. I would always spread with the morning dew or after a rain when there wasn't the threat of more rain.

ducnut likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Professional products at a professional level make great sense. Like many products of this strength, they need care and knowledge to properly use them. Most people are clueless and lazy, which is a terrible combination with professional-grade products and lawns, which is how horror stories are created.

I pre-planned my 19-0-6 apps around the weather. When I saw an upcoming day that looked favorable and was within my timeframe, I loaded the night before and hit the road before sunrise. The air is calm and usually there’d be a layer of dew. This is optimal. I used a drop spreader along beds and a broadcast for the rest.

The Lebanon product I used is heavy in oil. When it’s fresh, it’s tacky. If one buys it and leaves it sit around for months, it dries out and will be dusty (perforated bag). It pays to know products.

When selling chemical apps to customers, especially estate sized properties (3ac-5ac), one has to lay out a plan they’ll financially tolerate and one that makes sense for the applicator. We’re talking nearly $1K per application, twice a year. That’s a tough sell to most customers. If I were to break that into separate fertilizer and emergent apps, then I have to financially justify at least four visits to every property. That doesn’t make sense for their maintenance charges or my labor obligation.

For someone with your chemical knowledge, a city property, and time availability, it may not look sensible. But, to my peers, including my Site One manager, it looked like a very smart way to upsell, cover every base, and be efficient, as a primarily solo operator.

G 97 likes this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Completely agree. Professional level for a lawn / landscape business it makes perfect sense. I only know for me what I like and what I prefer etc. Since I have a large flower garden and a lot of plants and veggie garden, I don’t like the weedNfeed because of the potential risk it can pose from carryover etc. I just prefer to separate the two, which is fine for me because I like dinking around in the yard anyway. I pretty much stick to glyphosate and 2,4-d because they are readily available, relatively inexpensive, easy to control spray and are very effective. Although I did use a pre emergent this Spring for the first time and I did notice a reduction in weeds.

ducnut likes this.
  17. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I haven’t used that stuff, why do you prefer it over Speedzone? I’ve been spraying a mixture of Quinclorac granular and Crossbow but just bought Speedzone because I don’t like waiting for the weeds to die.

18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Ducnut, like others have said, thanks for taking the time to provide the info in this thread. I binged the thread and rolled right into some YouTube videos. I'm buying a home in TN and am chomping at the bit to try your recipe and build a great lawn.

It's an older renovated home on a .4 acre lot. Not a huge yard, but much better than most new home lots in subdivisions. I've always kept up with basic lawncare for a decent looking yard from the street. Cut, edge, trim bushes, periodic weed and feed...you know, the homeowners basic care starter kit. But I've never had one of those dense, green, weed free yards like you posted pics of. But I'm inspired to try.

Any chance you ended up starting a YouTube channel? Based off what I've seen of the yard, I have a basic plan of kill active weeds, dethatch/scarify, seed/overseed, starter fertilizer, water schedule, then roll into a maintenance program.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

@ducnut just a follow up from before about my mower cutting and not really standing up the grass. So I mowed with it three times this Spring then went to bag my back section to use the grass clipping as mulch for my garden. So I go to flip the lever over from mulch to bag and the lever is already in the bag position, so sure enough I left it in bagging from the fall when bagging leaves. So the bag was packed full for 3 mows and had 5 lbs of wet grass in it and was plugging the deck making it mulch like crap. In any event it mows better and is lighter to push. Plus I solved the reason why my garage was starting to smell. LOL.

ducnut likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Drive XLR8 is a good product containing Quinclorac.