1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best French door refrigerator?

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Apr 9, 2016.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Its time to put appliances in the new house, what say the beeb on brands? French door, freezer bottom with a fridge drawer is preferred. She wants deadly reliability over anything else. I'm leaning Electrolux but want opinions. She's vehemently against Samsung due to friends complaints.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I swallowed the Samsung hype and after a few years of learning, will never buy anything from them again.

3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

We just finished a total kitchen remodel and we put in GE Cafe-series appliances, including the exact style of fridge you described. We couldn't be happier with everything we got. (As an aside, the GE dishwasher is virtually dead-silent. The first time we did a load of dishes, I thought something was wrong because I couldn't hear it working.). We formerly had an LG fridge. It stayed broke.

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Damn it........I just bought a Samsung French Door refrigerator last summer (July)........why didn't you post this up prior to then? :D

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

We got the same - GE cafe line. Originally we got the standard depth french door fridge with freezer on the bottom and saw that it ended up a little closer to the island than we wanted. Went swapped it it with the counter depth. Didn't really lose much internal storage space but the ice maker capacity was severely diminished.
    We did have a motor get noisy on us and had it fixed under warranty.
    Kitchen appliances aren't made as good as they used to and it's the one thing that I'll pay the piper and get the extended warranty. There's no such thing as a cheap repair on these things.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

No kidding. And if you have ever tried to take one apart they are getting crazy complicated with circuit boards everywhere. I just do not understand why the appliance that keeps my beer cold has to have more computers and peripheral crap than mission control had for the first moon launch...

7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Because it sells units.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

We bought a Sears Kenmore like that 3 years ago....so far so good. Generally speaking, Kenmore has been good to us.

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

8+/- year old Kenmore Elite appliances in my kitchen. Never needed repairs & never serviced. I'd buy them again.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Got a whirlpool 24 cuft one. Love it.
    Model name "Bella". It
    Is on the bigger side though.
    Had a 19.4 cuft before and could barely make it work

11. ped

ped Banned

There's not a $145k custom Norwegian industrial fridge that you all have? GROSS

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend a Sub-Zero or Viking.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You should have done a search, it's been covered. My recommendation is to buy an extended warrantee ASAP, from someone like A & E Factory Service.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We have a kenmore 'fridge. We had to get an odd ball sized one because of the house build and that was one of the choices. Wasn't an elite but for the most part, it's been dead reliable. The filter warning and the cost of them is a pain but that's trvial unless you're a penny pinching "swabian", like me.

15. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Our filter has needed changing, for about 3 years. I ain't changing it.

16. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

None they are all junk. I would never consider buying a Samsung they have by far the worst customer service to their labor providers I have ever heard of. If i had to buy something it would be a LG with a linear compressor, but what do I know I have only been in the industry for 20 years.

crazywolf450r likes this.
  17. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Well, what DO you know? Tell me tell me

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got that same setup - LG, so far no problems after at least 5 years. Absolutely love the french doors - a full pizza box fits :D

19. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I've had a Sub Zero for 16 years with no repairs.

I'm not looking forward to replacing it!!

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

What are you doing putting a pizza box in the fridge?

You're supposed to eat the whole pizza and throw the box away!