1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best coverage - TV and on-line???

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by MarkB, Mar 21, 2003.

1. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to find decent news as to whats going on. Where's the best places to go for news?:

ONLINE - I see you guys quoting Yahoo news. Personally I just go to CNN and the BBC. Am I missing any better sites?

TV - Fox seems to have the best coverage, but I have to filter out the inane commentators and over-the-top graphics. CNN headline news is ok, but a bit superficial. What about the others?

I guess, the TV side I just flick between, but on-line its not as obvious where to go.

2. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

msnbc.com is pretty good they are pretty quick at posting news, and they do alot of pictures.

I am still tripping over the live satillite video phone of the armored columns.
    To me it is sureal to be sitting in my living room watching tankers in action on the other side of the planet.

3. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

can you provide a link to this?

4. MarkB

Thanks for that MSNBC tip - I'm watching TV reports now on my PC, just what I was looking for.

I know what you mean about those LIVE feeds - I was watching them last night.

5. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

6. MarkB

I like the raw-video footage, no commentary, just pics and sounds - you get a real feeling for what its like. Thanks for that link.

7. Tank Boy

No link it was just the raw video downlink on the CNN channels (all of them).

I finally got tired around 1 AM EST and went to bed when all they were showing was a close up of a bush and a yellow flower (probably while the camera guy took a piss).

8. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

9. Tank Boy

LOL!

The Iraqi's kicked CNN out of Bagdad!

I guess 8 hours of US armor strolling unopposed thru the Iraqi fatherland was a bit more "reality TV" than they could stand.

10. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

I was going to make a thread for this post, but this thread will do well enough.

Afew interesting online, non mainstream media, non govt. controlled live journals from folks right smack in the middle of it all.

Kevin Sites, CNN war correspondent. Has been in Kosovo, Chiapas and Afghanistan. The content is not endoresed by CNN. http://www.kevinsites.net/

Christopher Allbritton, former AP and New York Daily News reporter. http://www.back-to-iraq.com/

A young man named Raed in Baghdad. You can debate if it's real or not, but the content seems pretty on. Note alot of good detail on daily life in Iraq, laced with occasional insults for political parties, etc... http://www.dear_raed.blogspot.com/

Knowing more than a few folks who keep blogs (online journals), I was wondering if they'd change the face of news reportage. Especially the new Audio Blogs. You have to take it with a grain of salt, but then IMHO you have to take everything with a grain (or five) of salt nowadays irregardless of the source.

Now then, I'm outa here. The BBS irritates the Hell out of me nowadays.

Enjoy.

11. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

12. Evil Dave K

Evil Dave K Well-Known Member

Too easy. Plus, you've taken enough of a beating on the BBS republican shock and Awe attack on pacifists. :D

13. Tank Boy

I like NPR, you just have to turn your leftie filter up.

14. Evil Dave K

Evil Dave K Well-Known Member

Commie Freak. :p :D

15. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

The manual recommends filter replacement every 24 hours under normal service. I would consider this severe operating conditions, so I change mine very 8 hours. ;)

Still a good source of radio news that does not try to give you the world in 22 minutes.

16. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

NPR

You guys might find it interesting that NPR is broadcast for two hours every night (primetime) on Armed Forces Radio.

17. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

I have no problem with that. I doubt the troops do, either.

18. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

neither do I, I actaully enjoy it most nights. I mostly just wanted to point out that they don't just pump Rush Limbaugh down our throats!!! Just saw that there is an explosion in Bahrain, got lots of shipmates there and some of the BBS'ers as well, hope all is well, gotta jam