1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best "back to black" product/method?

Discussion in 'General' started by SnacktimeKC, Mar 28, 2014.

1. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Bought a Zuma 125 from a college kid who kept it outside. Obviously a lot of the black plastics have oxidized, what's the best method and product for fixing this?

Thanks in advance, Snack

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Hey Snack, I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread because I'm looking for the answer to your question and a leather restorer too. Just bought a classic old Bimmer and along with the black I'm looking for something that brings leather back to life.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Plastidip.

:D

Or rattle can. I do rattle can stuff to my bikes. :)

5. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I use Mother's Back to Black on the Jeep fenders. Works tolerably well. Not perfect, but if you apply it generously, it does the job.

6. SnacktimeKC

Not at all, wha'd ya get? 2002Tii, Bavaria?

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

T.C. Black infusion

I use it on my avalance and people ask me how I keep it looking so good. Its easy to apply and last longer then anything else Ive tried.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Nah, not that classic (I wish!). Kind of a semi-classic.

Pulled in for gas and an older lady was driving this. I told her I really liked it and she said she was buying an X5 and was ready to sell. I asked and she said, "well, I guess I would let it go for 2 grand." I met her the next day and bought it.

1990 325is, she is the original owner and it has 76K miles. I thought I did OK. Always liked E30's.

[​IMG]

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Simoniz used to make a product call bumper restore. It was as thick as honey and you had to apply it with a brush and let it sit for a few hours. Afterwards you wiped off the excess and could reuse it. Worked really. I have a bottle I keep around for the occasional touch up.

10. SnacktimeKC

DAMM! Nice find.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

WD-40.....

After several Years it will work!

12. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

This ^. It's very durable. And if it ever gets scratched, just clean it and re-spray it- no other prep required. Awesome stuff. I use it on my Jeep fender flares that are prone to sun fading. The color and texture are an exact match to the OEM plastic.

I've never found a Back to Black type product that works worth a damn or lasts more than a month or two.

13. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Here in FL, I've tried every single wipe-on product to keep plastic looking new and they all can't stand up to the Florida sun. Not to mention they all create a greasy mess all over your paint if the trim gets wet and drips down on painted surfaces.

For my 2005 F150, which the trim go so faded that it had almost turned white, I used Krylon Fusion for Plastic and painted all the trim using their matte black color.

Made it look better than factory new and now only have to reapply every year or two since the sun will still fade the paint since it isn't UV protected.

14. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Damn man you got a steal on that..Clean e30s are going for stupid money around here..You could flip that thing for 5-6k overnight..

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

SteeletoeHead, you listening????

:D

16. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike Well-Known Member

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I thought everything you owned was seafoam green?
    Is that not your standard racebike color anymore?

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

SEM trim black in a can. Prep with acetone and a grey scotch brite pad

[​IMG]

19. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

This.

20. 713

713 Well-Known Member

I used to leave my zuma 125 on the back patio and had the same fading problem. I park it in the garage now. I used one coat of mothers back to black with great success. I have not detailed it since. I applied it October 2013 using a regular size sponge. For the tight areas and crevices I used a toothbrush and a sponge cut down to 1in x 1in. About 2 weeks after I did it I left it in the rain for 2 days and the product did not run or streak. The floor boards will be a little slippery the first time you ride it. The scoot gets a lot of use and sun here in Florida and still looks great. Hope this helps.