1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bergara Ridgeback Rifle

Discussion in 'General' started by lizard84, Mar 8, 2019.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

What say you oh lords of bbs rifle wisdom? If not the ridgeback then Bergara Rifles in general.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

IDK, but looks like a whole lot of value. I probably have less than that in my Tikka T3T McMillan, but that Berg looks like a deal.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Bergaras seem to be good guns. I wouldnt pick one over a Tikka if there was a comparable model/features(that were important), but I wouldn't be afraid of the. One of the guys that shoot on tuesday nights has an LPR and was having a lot of issues with case extraction. We finally figured out that it was a bolt issue and it turned out that the ejector pin was installed backwards and one other issue that I cant remember at this time.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

5. jfcasley

jfcasley Well-Known Member

the B14 Hunt and Match is only $1,000

6. lizard84

Those are all good options but I’m set on a 300 PRC, i’ll go semi or full custom if I have to but I’d rather not.

Why the 300 PRC? Just because I can I suppose.

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Thinking back to Hathcock days....
    there are some amazingly good options these days.

8. Newsshooter

New round, I'd look to get a barreled action, you could get one from PVA in 300 PRC.

9. lizard84

Nice idea but I’d rather have/need a production gun/optic at $4,000 max

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Can’t help with the Bergara but Did you see the DD Delta 5?
    I’ve nvr had anyone complain about DD.

Ride safe,
    AAron

11. lizard84

It has to be a production rifle (which the Delta 5 is) but it also has to be under under $2000, hell I wouldn'd mind spending a little or a lot more but that's the limit. Its my preference for the 300 PRC that is further limiting my options.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Damn and the DD is so close to that price point but still over. Damn.

Ride safe,
    AAro

13. Newsshooter

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  14. lizard84

I want to start with the PRS in their production rifle class, looking to get my feet wet in 2020 after some sorting of the shooter and rifle this year.

jrsamples likes this.
  15. Newsshooter

I wouldn't shoot a 300 PRC for that task, more recoil, more money in ammo/components, completely needless for that type of shooting. Most are going with a 6mm variant for PRS with the dasher being very popular now. Best buy is that MPA I listed above in a 6mm or 6.5, nice adjustable chassis, I love mine, and you can get factory ammo if needed. Longest shot I've taken at a PRS match is 1400, my 6.5 CM gets there just fine, so will the 6mm. That being said most of your shots will be less than 1K. You're not going to be able to spot your shots well with the magnum and being able to call your own impacts and stay on target is very important in this game. You're also going to be shooting somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-80 rounds or more per day at a PRS style match. And then you have an high round count stage where you might shoot 10-15 rounds in 90-120 seconds, that will kill a magnum barrel in a hurry. That leaves you with 2K for a scope, lots of choices in that range.

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-competition-rifle/

Fencer and jrsamples like this.
  16. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not sure if they do the 300PRC but I got in line for one of the PVA John Hancock rifles late last year. Hoping to have it in the next 2-3 months. I stuck with 6.5CM. Rifle is $1999, so it will work for PRS Production based rules. I have a Burris XTR II 5-25x50 that I'll mount up (originally $1500 MSRP) so i"m good to go with production class after I get the rifle and learn how to shoot the thing and get some practice in.

The Delta 5 should be good but till they are on the market and in peoples hands I'll wait and see. I think it's more of a hunting style rifle vs PRS but I could be wrong. I don't remember the barrel contour or chassis style.

FYI for PRS I think the best bets are 6.5CM or maybe 6CM if you aren't going to use it for any hunting. Best options of good match ammo available without hand loading, and just keeping the costs reasonable even if you are hand loading. I picked up 1k pieces of once fired 6.5CM brass for a good price. Mostly Hornady but a nice sprinkling of Norma brass was in there as a nice bonus. anyone shooting 260, I know where I can find you a bunch of once fired brass for a good price. like 5-10k.

+1 on news shooter and the MPA. If that would have been out when I put money on the JH I might have gone that route. I really like their chassis. I"m sure I'll be happy with the JH once it arrives, the folks that have them have been very impressed with the accuracy and package.

going back to your original question- Bergara seems to be getting good reviews. I've read a few things here and there about issues with them but their CS has seemed to take care of anything out of the ordinary. They are local (Atlanta area) and are owned by the same folks that have CVA, Dead Air, etc, so they will be around for a while. I looked hard at them for a while before I had decided to try to find a Tikka Tac A1 used, then stumbled upon the John Hancock and decided to go that route for not much more $$.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, no way would I go 300 anything for a PRS gun. If you're not hand loading, go 6.5CM. Its a great round with really good factory ammo available. I'm not a fan of the 6mm stuff just because I like a little more energy to move steel at 1000 yards and beyond. Hit lights are great, but can fail. If 3-4 spotters have to work really hard to tell if you made a hit, I want more energy.
    If I was shooting paper, 6mm all the way.

Newsshooter likes this.
  18. lizard84

I hear what both if you are saying and you guys know a shit ton more about long range shooting than I but I'm not looking for the prefect PRS production rifle dedicated to that end, if so a 6mm or 6.5 chassis rifle would be the the thing. I'm searching for a dual use long range 30 cal rifle that will certainly be used in the PRS production as well as non sanctioned events but as a training tool for me. I've already pretty much decided the ridgeback is the wrong choice and I'm looking closer at the Christensen Arms Mesa in 300 PRC.
    Recoil without a brake calculated to 30.4 ft•lbs, with the brake on the Mesa it should be a relatively soft shooter compared to some of the hammers I've been shooting. Barrel life will be average. Cost of ammo doesn't matter to me. I want to prove to myself and no one else what my capabilities are or aren't so if I get to go out west in the next couple of years as planned I'll take that 300, 400 or 700 yard plus shot with a certain amount of confidence
    Input Data
    Charge Weight: 73.1 gr (R 26) Muzzle Velocity: 2800.0 ft/s
    Firearm Weight: 9.9 lb Bullet Weight: 225.0 gr
    Output Data
    Recoil Velocity: 14.0 ft/s Recoil Energy: 30.4 ft•lbs
    Recoil Impulse: 4.3 lb•s

19. Newsshooter

Well have fun with that, I'd buy a couple extra barrels if you plan to shoot matches. They'll burn a magnum barrel out quick. Also 60-80 rounds in a day from a 9 lb 30 cal magnum rifle won't be fun. That's an ELR/hunting round, not a PRS round, you can get plenty comfortable shooting long range with a less abusive round. Skill is skill, it isn't dependent on caliber. I'd get a seekins over a christensen and they're supposed to be chambering the 300 PRC.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sounds like the 300 PRC is perfect caliber for what you want to do.