1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belly Pan for Formula RD?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Steve in NC, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Steve in NC

Steve in NC Member

Does it need to hold 5 quarts or what? I've been told 3 quarts for RD's. Also what type of material is being used for these pans? I'm thinking of using sheet aluminum.

2. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Sheetsteel, Aluminum and fiberglass are used. I personally like using fiberglass because it's easy to modify, is light and is less likely to cause a crash if improperly designed with regards to clearance.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Regarding the capacity of the belly pan, I've been told that common sense will override anything; the RD engine only holds 1500cc's of oil. A three or five quart capacity would be overkill. Not to mention unsightly.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Common sense will defiitely be the determining factor but I do want tomake one point - while all 2-strokes do only hold a small amount of liquid in the bottom end they all carry a decent amount of fuel and some caryy water as well.... when you get to the point of making one, once it covers the bottom of the bike 5qts isn't really that hard to do. It's not a firm quantity for 2-strokes but I wouldn't go under 3...