1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner Bike Question

Discussion in 'General' started by hondaboi, Oct 5, 2020.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Pretty much same advise I was given.
    if you can't afford to watch your bike burn to a pile of crispy rubble on the side of the track and just walk away... then don't race it!

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The coaches in N2 are good, they preach the YCRS doctrine and most have been to YCRS several times...some are even in the YCRS line-up. To top it off N2 is deep into the racing scene having sponsored several riders like Kyle Wyman. The Kawi 650 will do fine as an intro into the track. Good tires are the key. Focus on learning the race line and the fundamentals to good body position. All of this should be a standard part of intro coaching from any trackday organization.
    The 650 is difficult, in my opinion, to prep. I just replaced a mirror on the wife's 650 and it was a bitch to get to...still, I'd recommend taking all non-essentials off the bike and disconnecting lights.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only reason I'd change bikes is if you can sell yours for the same or more than an already prepped bike would cost just to make getting on track that much simpler. Otherwise run what you have and are used to.

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If you like it and plan to stick with it consider a salvage bike. My first track bike was a 06 gsxr 600 that I paid peanut for, bought some used track fairings, threw on some base sliders and rode the wheels off. No more taping and removing things for the track made prepping for the track much more enjoyable. Track fairings make sbasinc maintenance and cleaning more enjoyable. And I was into the thing for less than $2k. It was and still would be much more capable of a track weapon than me, and if I had to watch it burn, who cares? Buy another and do it again.

5. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

Fun, new experience to get on track. As someone who has raced on and off for 20 yrs. I'd recommend doing a few track days and see how you like things. Maybe wait on any dedicated track school. There is a significant cost and you may benefit more later. See if you like it, before you put the time and money in. As a safe street rider, you may hate it or maybe it will be a new passion, who knows.
    I just spent a few laps with a new track day rider recently and they were still learning to be comfortable at speed and handling the bike. A track school can teach lines, body positioning, when to brake, when to throttle... but you need a comfort level to take in the info. This rider was not comfortable using full throttle or leaning. Maybe you are more advanced... difficult to say until you get out there and assess things. (You may love riding, but going fast on a track and more so racing is a lot beyond riding. Time on track is only a fraction of the time I spend preparing/maintaining... maybe a reason why people only race for a few yrs - faster you go the more effort/cost/risk)

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

How far away are you from Barber? The GNF is a great place to buy a race-prepped bike. Lots of broke racers needing cash.

Also: if you can, bring a pitmate when you go to the track. Best is a person familiar with the scene.

7. PeaPod

PeaPod Well-Known Member

The Ninja 650 is a fully capable track bike. Mine has taken me from timid street rider to the lower end of expert club racing. It still has more in it to go based on a previous expert racer times. Yes, you will need to upgrade parts as you go along and get faster. Yes, the parts are not as easy and cheap to come by as in the past, but, they do pop up for cheap here and there.

I do not think it is worth the hassle at this time to sell your bike and get an SV. Get a few trackdays days under your belt and see if you like it first. When you realize you do, because you will, then consider the trade-off of the cost of building up your own bike versus buying a dedicated track bike.

Monsterdood likes this.