1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been approached to put a cell tower on my property....

Discussion in 'General' started by Bugslayer, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

What does the all knowing beeb have for input?

A company called Maverick Towers has approached me and wants to lease a spot on my business property and erect a cell tower. The spot I am looking at won't effect anything we do here on a daily basis.
    What I know so far is it will be a long term lease, 25 years, with a second 25 year option. They will bring in their own power, 600-800 amps, pull all permits and what not. They will need around a 60' x 60' spot. So far we are talking a $1,000 a month.

I already have my company attorney looking at the lease agreement, but wanted to see what the collective knowledge of the beeb has to say.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

$12,000 a year buys lots of race tires...

badmoon692008, throwdown and BigBird like this.
  3. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

DON'T DO IT!!! IT'LL FRY YOUR BRAIN AND THEY'LL BE ABLE TO READ YOUR THOUGHTS!!!!

LOL

That is some nice coin with nothing to do on your part!!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

A $1000 x month erection......of a cell tower. :beer:

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Have some farmer buddies that have a few of them. Good source of extra income for zero work on their part. If it's at a business, I'd for sure do it. If it was in your back yard of the house.. probably not.

If you even think you want to, don't try negotiating for more, as I'm sure they have several other backup sites if you balk at it, and losing the deal for an extra couple hundred dollars is not worth it. Just be sure to lease it from the business so it wont effect personal income.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or literally one cancer treatment pill.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You should have no problem getting 4 bars.

G2G, badmoon692008 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Rob Turner with Intown Legal has a great deal of experience helping people with these type of leases.

Intownlegal.com.

404-457-2076

Tell him Tyler Beard referred you. He is my wifes cousin, so.....dropping my name may or may not help.

9. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Also something to think about is making sure there is a 'property restoration clause' in the contract stating that if they ever pull the lease or do not renew after the first 25 years that they will put your property back to the condition it was in before the instillation.

Gorilla George and GixxerBlade like this.
  10. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

Depends on the location of your business property, what you do at your business, and if your going to be selling anytime in the future. I don't know the value of a cell tower on property but I would think you could get them up a little bit over the 1k a month. They are an eyesore and not everyone wants them lol

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And if you don't do it, that eyesore will be on the adjacent neighbor's property.

12. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Any kind of inflation adjustment? 1k extra a month now is nice but in 25 years?

418, Chris, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about it, but, what I do know is that 12K a year is decent right now, but, 25 years from now, won't be much. I think I'd try to negotiate a 1-2% increase year over year.

damn...too slow in the trigger

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Try to get them to disguise it as a cactus, palm tree, or something cool!

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd ask them if they have a "major award" option....

[​IMG]

G2G, Sabre699, vizsladog and 11 others like this.
  16. jamespierce

jamespierce Well-Known Member

I have been in the cell tower business since the early nineties. Did a lot of work with land acquisition folks trying to secure property.
    Basics are they will have 3 search rings. Your property will be one of the three. If you try to ask for too much they simply move to the next target property and move on.
    These companies are usually willing to go out of their way to get you to sign. In the years I worked at it they paved driveways and put siding on a house.
    Remember, they are improving your property so you will be responsible for the increase in property taxes. There should be a clause in the lease saying that you will be getting a 5% raise every three years or something to that affect. Also, if they add additional tenants to their tower you will not be entitled to any additional rental revenue. Once they get the site up and running you should only expect to see a technician once or twice a month. Big thing going on now is companies buying out leases. Say you really like your tenant and they up and sell the lease to another group, they could not as easy to get along with so it might cause a headache or two.
    Never heard anyone complain about getting a check each month for 25 years. If it was my property I say go for it.

BigBird likes this.
  17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Definitely talk to an attorney that specializes in this. My father in law makes a LOT more than that from a tower on his property...I mean a lot more.

18. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

The farm that I rent my house on has a tower on the property. He is getting $1800 a month for 20 years from the one and $1000 month from a second. . As said above they can piggy back other carriers off your land without you getting a dime of if it's not in your contract. My landlord has it in his that anyone else on the system has to pay him a fee for using his property as well. He loves the extra income, tech's never cause any issues, and they even helped him finish a dirt road he had out by the tower when they where installing it.

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I would guess location must have something to do with rates. A spot is probably harder to get and worth more in a highly populated area versus up here where there's nobody.

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Make sure to discuss access to the property.. To erect that tower is a big crane. Can your driveway support it? Will they make a new road, etc.. All of the growing pains we had with a cable station and the city water tower on the property. It is good income yes.. A thought on this also.. Make sure that if they choose to stop using that tower, they are responsible for tearing it down.

beac83 likes this.