1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bearings

Discussion in 'General' started by mm1854, Apr 24, 2016.

1. mm1854

mm1854 Member

Time to replace bearings on my 09 R6; steering stem, swingarm, wheels. I often hear All Balls, is that the way to go or should I stick to OEM? Is All Balls just rebranded normal or is it really better?
    From other threads I see several say they do use the tapered bearing for the steering and other say they use OEM, but not really sure why for either?
    Woodcraft sells a ceramic bearing wheel kit for $395!!! Too much for me, but curious if anyone have used it and felt a difference?

Thanks guys!

2. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Ceramic wheel bearing (or elsewhere on the bike) have been very noticeable and worth the investment in my experience. They can be had for less than the $400 you posted as well, if you want to oh the effort into sourcing them.

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

In my experience, and this is a couple of years old, now, All Balls uses Chinese-made bearings. OEM are Japan-made. You could use other Japan, US, or German-made and have better longevity than All Balls. You can find ceramic versions for a little less than what Wood kitted them for (but you're helping support the sport if you pay him a little for that effort).

4. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Agreed, OEM, Timken, Koyo, SKF, NSK or any other high quality bearing for wheels.
    I have done several steering head bearing replacements with All Balls without issues,
    I can not say the same thing for their wheel bearings.

5. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Agreed. All Balls kits Chinese made bearings that are "close" to Oem spec but not exact. I had quality issues with them for both steering head and wheel bearings. I no longer use them. They save themselves money by substituting "good enough" (for them) sizes in order to minimize the number of parts stocked and kitted to supply more bike models. Seal inside diameters and bearing depth are very frequently different than Oem.

6. mm1854

mm1854 Member

Thanks guys for the feedback! Very helpful. OEM it is. In the future when I feel flush, will try the ceramic wheel bearings back-to-back with the OEM.

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I've used All Balls bearings on every bike I've owned from front to back. I have yet to have a bearing issue.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Not All Balls.

OEM or better yet, World Wide Bearings. Japan made.

JTRC51 and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Who besides All Balls makes tapered steering head bearing replacement kits? Does World Wide?

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Generally they do. I'd give Dave at WWB a call and check. 973.857.6464

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

What's the group think on Pivot Works?

12. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Call dave from worldwide bearings in nj, best ceramics out there. He does a lot of cycle stuff. Tell em Cuzn Ant sent ya.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cuzn Ant? And I thought Mongo was goofy :crackup:

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It's all about the ABEC....

15. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Tapered stem bearings do increase the resistance a tiny bit. I installed some and was certain it had to much drag and I couldn't get it set right. They settled in and feel fine now but it's something to consider.