1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber T5/6: school me

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 70yamahaR5, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

After a bad get off in the Web at the end of GNF, I've had the winter to ponder it and also a recent trackday to improve (driving deeper, braking harder and getting a third downshift before a relatively late tip into T5). I'm getting through it better, but am still spending too much time there.

School me on your approach to the Web.

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Youtube some pro races and see what they are doing there. Bottom line, that turn can be taken several different ways and still produce the same result. I've tried deep in, square it off, and drive out. I've tried a classic 250GP sweeping style and I've tried a combination of the two. Seems like they were all about the same result. Now, I decide which style to use depending on my competitors both in front and behind me.

At this point in time Rick, just use what makes you feel comfortable and confident on the track. Don't over study it or complicate it. It's just asphalt, your bike, and you.

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Good advice right there.

I havent done it too many times on the EX....but on the CB, I dont go as tight as I used to, but still pretty tight.

I've been passed on the inside there, but never on the outside by a bike in class.

Maybe after this you can school me on that EX Rick.:up:

4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I've asked about this as well and have been told there isn't near as much time to gain there as you might think. Im still too slow there for sure and would like to hear what others have to say on that turn(s). I know most guys stay far left over the curbing eliminating the left kink but every time I try that my suspension( not quite setup for my weight last time there) is all jacked up and I end up tipping right too late or so it seems.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

All I know is there was a Lake in it late yesterday..... Still had a blast....

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

I've watched 10's of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of riders go through that turn and there is no best way to do it. There's what works for you and that's about it really.

Only advice I've got is if you have a line that works but is different than the others in your race are mainly taking then just be more aware of what's going on around you and how your lines may intersect. Because multiple lines and styles do work I've seen quite a bit of contact between bikes.

7. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, guys. I watch lots of Youtube videos, including my own (although the one of my front-tuck crash there not so much :crackup:).

Historically, I was setting up right track and entering T5 too fast (for me anyway), drifting wide (sometimes off the track) and exiting T6 too slow.

Now I'm more center right setup, getting 3 DS, tipping almost at the end of the right curb, and getting through T6 tighter and a bit faster exit because of the third DS.

8. promod

promod Well-Known Member

rick..don't over analize this racing thing or you will end up with Paralysis of the Anaylisis. It is easy to do,after a top fuel run we would look at the data on the comp. and they would ask me was it really spinning the tires at 1000 feet down the track, yeah look at the comp. screen see the spikes dam dude,!!!!! reallly it would give you a serious head burn..we quit looking at that data so serious ,made a plan on what to do for the next run and it got better and better.thank god i don't have a racepak (computer) on my bike i'd go crazy. hope this helps rick,,,,barber it is ,,,,,,,,:clap:,steve.................

9. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Remember too that the way you approach a series of turns depends on the gearbox and powerband of the bike you're riding. Always a difficult set of turns for me on the H1 as I fall out of the powerband there so I keep it tight, square it off, and drop the hammer on the exit. On the RZ or the Aprilia I use a more sweeping line that both bikes are happy with. On the H2 I can pretty much do it any way I want as it has enough power and handling to make either style work.

Remember what Sean said as well - I've had a few close calls there in tight racing with riders who approach those corners differently than I do on the H1, especially on the exit where we converge on crossing lines.

10. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, Steve and Jim, good advice. You're right about those different lines and how they can intersect each other. So far I've just tried not to be "that guy" and leave room on both sides through there.

11. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

I would prefer you not worry about leaving room and ride the line you find is best for you. Why? You will be more consistent if you are doing that. If I'm closing on you from the rear I want you to be consistent on your race line which makes it much easier for me to decide how to get around you.

I don't want you worrying about leaving room for me - I want you focused on your riding. Safer for both of us that way.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

Ride your line - just be aware if you're passing someone on a different line how they may intersect. If you're being passed it's not your concern, they'll get around you.

13. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i've since learned how to get thru there pretty well on my little CB350 pig, like the others have said...it just depends on the situation around you

but whatever you do, do NOT go in there way deep thinking you're gonna set up and square off underneath a dude who's gone in there way deep thinking he's gonna set up and square off underneath another dude. :D it don't work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. promod

promod Well-Known Member

:D
    rick--jim has this rite ,look at the diff. last year on your big heavy 1000 zook,now on light weight ex it stops and turns in so much better, the guys thats been doing this for years will blow rite on by us,,.i'm going to have fun and try to finish the more we ride the more fun we'll have. I'm old each event could be my last you never know.. thats why i'm looking for the fun ,,where i finish is not important at this time,,maybe later,,,,,,,,,,,steve......:beer:

15. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Well .....you got the square off part of the turn correct :D

16. 70yamahaR5

Dang, that looks nasty. Makes me almost feel grateful for my front tuck lowside there. Thanks again for all the advice. Looking forward to see all you guys soon.

17. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Walker does get thru there alittle better on the CB350...just alittle.:D

Its been awhile since I've seen those pics....he went down and never touched the track!:up::beer:

18. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

when the red mist takes over, the only turn i take it easy on is pit out after the checkers. :D

19. promod

promod Well-Known Member

in the third photo 108s rear tire is still smoking ,but his right foot is on the ground,i wonder if his motor seized causing all this drama ...maybe just his mind seized look at how fast he closed on the other 2 riders ,,next 2 photos,,at any rate i don't want to be in that position !!!!!maybe lowside or get off and run beside beside the motorcycle:D:D:D dam this ain't for timid folks,,10-4,that rider is plenty sore nx. day ,,i did that on dirt and was wrecked for a week,,dam still hurts thinking about it,,:beer::clap:

20. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

I forgot about those pics. Guess we know why your knee hurts...