1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber Results??

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by GrantMLS, Jun 28, 2003.

1. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

Yup missed another one.. :( so what happened and please no
    Greatest track ever comments... :Puke:

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Grant -
    It is a great track, but not the greatest ever. Surprisingly for such a young track, the surface is already requiring repair, as there are large patches and sealer applied (I guess running Porsches multiple times per week and every weekend tends to place a lot of load on a surface). However, it seems to have good traction unlike the patches at Roebling. What is most impressive is the size of the facility and its layout. The entire complex must be well in excess of 100 acres. The paddock is huge with a 4 story, chrome and glass airconditioned "tower" (the entire building is probably 700 feet long) with viewing patios atop from which one can see 80% of the track. The pit area is probably 1/4 mile long and terraced on 4 levels. No power in the paddock so it is reminiscent of a power station with generators running everywhere all the time. The track itself is w i d e, and there are multiple lines through most corners. The gravel traps are pea gravel, not sand, which stop you right now (don't ask how I know). There are a lot of blind crests which keep things very interesting, as well as a lot of elevation changes for a bit of a roller coaster ride. One does a lot of accelerating uphill while leaned over. Gearing is very similar to Kershaw, with the emphasis on getting a good drive. It is essentially 4 straights with a variety of corner combinations connecting them: a fast sweeping downhill left followed by a long up and down right hander; a 170 degree hairpin; a fast right which ends abruptly in a quick left - right that drops about 30 feet; the back straight has a left/right kink that can be taken flat out on a BSA B50 in top and is a lot of fun when you get it right - I'd hate to screw up there; and the last series of 4 corners is a veritable roller coaster of fast downhill left with a quick right that leads up over a blind rise and continues sweeping right while heeled over, down through a gully and continues sweeping right forever until it ends abruptly with a sharp right followed by a short downhill shute and a sweeping, on the gas hard left that leads on the front straight. There's your lap at BMP. As for races, I'm chagrined that I cannot give you more but I left early to get back to Atlanta. Here is wHat I know: V2 Eric Cook, David Rutherford, Steve Stasser; V4 Tim Joyce on the Harley; V3 Tim Joyce on his 750 Triumph; 500 GP David Rutherford, David Matthews, a fast Ducati and Tom Bently. The RD boys were gone so I could determine who won and the 250 GP guys were behind. Sorry I don't have more. You missed a good day and a very good facility and track. As for the Mid-Ohio Nazi approach feared by all - I did noy see it. There are a lot of rules. But they are principally aimed at keeping the place nice. The track workers were to a person nice, congenial and provided you did not demonstrate that you were an ass first, very pleasant. I'm interested to hear others' takes on the day. Cheers.

3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

David’s description of the track is spot on... although I found it to be the most fun of any track I have raced on, with 15 turns it will be a challenge to master, at 45 feet wide EVERYWHERE it is forgiving of mistakes, include the great gravel traps and runoff (a wink at David there). Traction was GREAT even on the patches, in the wet it seemed pretty good everywhere although I was wary of the patches.

The facilities are just unbelievable!!! Grass everywhere, no sand/dirt, fully tiled bathroom’s, 4 showers with dressing areas, 24 hour credit card race fuel/pump, your modern self serve gas pump type. 4 types of fuel, 93 Oct unleaded through 114 leaded race fuel.

The people at the track were great, never had an issue with anyone, organized, Good pa system plus FM broadcast of all the announcing, ON TIME, the place was CLEAN everywhere..
    HUGE pits. Sign up was a breeze, multiple windows plenty of personnel for track admission

Dick won F-RD (checked out), Kevin brown got second, I did not put my best ride in F-Rd but finished 3rd.

Dick was first in F-500, I rode much better and kept him in site for 3 of 6 laps, Charlie M, was 3rd, Eric Cook and I had a fun battle.

Joe Pomeroy won F-2 stroke, Scott McCain was a fairly close second, Dick was 3rd..

V5 was the biggest race and had the most competition, there were 5 bikes at it for most of the race, I am not sure of his name but a seca 600 got away from the pack, Harold was second on the FZ750 an FZ600 (Steven Fayhee?) was third, Joe P was fourth and Eric Mercer was 5th.

Tim Joyce won V4 on the Harley Eric Mercer was second not sure of the rest of that field but there were a bunch our them also including some nice GS450's from the north (I think Rich Graver was 3rd on a GS)

Tim Joyce won V3 on the triumph, Jenz was second, Mark Mitchell was out with a mechanical.

Eric Cook took both V1 and V2, Steve Staser was in there also for 2nd or 3rd

Phil Turkington won 250 and 350 GP (wow what a rider) on a Bultaco 250 Scott M had some mechanical/jetting issues on his, Mike Deangelo was 2nd or 3rd in both of those races.. that is about all I can remember

Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I just want to add that BMP is my new favorite track by a long shot. It is a true riders track that is both really fun and challenging at the same time. It is so nice that just being there sitting in the pits is a pleasure. After getting home last night past 11:00 PM, I still had a hard time getting to sleep even though I was very tired. I was still jacked up about the whole experience.

Attending AMA races have fallen out of favor with me since I started racing with WERA. I think you get to see much more/exciting races with WERA. But, when the AMA show goes to BMP, I plan to be there just so I can go back and enjoy the place.

At BMP, it's a complete experience: beautiful track done right, beautiful layout, beautiful grounds, and efficient well run facility. You really couldn't ask for more. Well, maybe more races to be scheduled there. :)

5. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

It was an extremely fun track!!! My second overall favorite for layout. As far as being a technical track... maybe but I don't think it's on the level of Jennings. What made Barber such a blast is the elevation changes and blind turns... a real rush and a truly exciting roller-coaster ride!!!

Basically the buildings and landscape of Barber Motorsports Park seem to have been inspired by Epcot but with a racing theme. The track was a Magic Kingdom affair.

6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

By far, the finest track I have ever seen, we have been in shock since we pulled into the gates.:cool:

Fridays rain gave way to a perfect day for vintage racing.It was great to meet the southern vintage crowd at last:)

The Barber staff was great, a big thanks to T-bone racing for fridays food & beer:clap:

lets do this again next year, a couple of times!!!

Bob

7. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I'd also like to say I'm sorry to the bike I came a little close to in the V4 race at the fast left/right on the last few sections of the track. I was thinking it was a 2 stroke but am not really sure & I didn't catch the number. No contact was made, but still, I want to let you know I was sorry for being so close.

Tim & Eric put in a great ride:cool:

Hey Tim, Horsepower Sucks...:D

Bob

8. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

They need to have a US GP there. Not at Homestead, which is not a magic layout, but more or less Mickey Mouse. ;)

9. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

10. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Cool :up:

How are the Regional standings coming along?

11. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to get something from the Regional Directors soon. Believe me, I'll let everyone know when they're up on the site.:)

12. Bud750

Bud750 Member

Hey,
    I just wanted to throw in my take of BMP. I was there with a couple of friends and my girlfriend. I went to kinda get a feel for racing, as this was my first race that I have attended. As a possible new racer, the track was beautiful. I am from Birmingham, living in New Orleans, and its nice to see something good that the city of Birmingham and surrounding area are trying to support. I was also impressed with the people I met. We were there only for about 2 hours, just walking around and looking at bikes and the races, but the people were very nice. I can definately see myself racing next year.
    I'll cetainly be back. All four of us were very impressed!

Bud

13. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Bud,

How is the bike coming along? I crashed my 750 at Seattle two weeks ago. After my shoulder and ribs heal I am going to check the frame. If it is bent I may part the bike. Could be a good chance to get a set of griimeca calipers, 33mm Keihin CRs and electronic ignition with rev limiter.

Jon

14. Bud750

Bud750 Member

Hey Jon,
    I certainly hope you heal well! Thanks for the offer on the parts, if you decide to sell. Keep me updated, I may be interested in what you have!
    The bike is coming along. I finally got a useful frame (dont ask about that long story) and I got the frame gussets welded up this weekend. Once the frame is sanded and painted, the building begins.
    In the meantime, I am working on a '75 400f also. Mostly a stocker so not competitive, yet, but I did get it running after sitting a few years a couple of days ago. Mostly, its something to piddle with while I wait on parts for the CR750.

Stay in touch!

Bud, New Orleans