1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banned from the WERA BBS

Discussion in 'General' started by R Rahn, Jul 8, 2003.

1. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

More like BLOCKED from the BBS...

Has this happend to anyone else?

My company (a large telecom) has decided that all personal e-mail accounts, weblogs, IM services, BBS, and the like are a hazard to our infastructure and detrimental to the growth of our company. Therefore all employees are now being proxy blocked from some of the best and brightest places on the web.

::sniff sniff::

So now I have no contact with the outside world and no way to vent for the better part of the daylight hours. I guess I need to file some kind of 1st Amendment suit or something.

Oh well, I still have good old slashdot. I know some of the geeks on there ride motorcycles.

2. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

nothing personal, but, if any of my employees were on this bbs or any other as much as most of you guys they wouldnt wouldnt be working for me.

company with 100 employees
    each employee wasted an hour a day on the net
    each employee earned 15$ and hour
    company loses $1500 a day
    company loses $7500 a week
    company loses $31,500 a month
    company loses $378,000 a year

is it really that hard to understand why companies react like yours did?
    is it in your job description to surf bbs's or check your personal email while your on the clock?
    you should feel pretty damn lucky to be working for a big company these days.
    the figures above just reflect lost payroll.
    re- asses your situation. be thankfull. shut up and get to work. start your own company.
    again, nothing personal.

hopefully you understand all this and are just wasting time on this bbs at home.

3. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

That's why I like working for myself. I do what I want when I want. As long as the job gets done...I'm in heaven. I come to work in my jammies :D But yeah, it does cost companies a lot of money when the employees are screwing off on the web rather than working.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

What if you're salary or commision...:D

That hour that they "save" by getting people off the internet, will be wasted by the same people by "looking" busy.

Not to mention that the average employee most likely won't see a dime of the $378 G's saved...no matter how hard they work during that hour...or the other seven hours remaining.

Just pointing out the obvious... ;)

Keep on surfin' folks. :beer:

5. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Now why would they get a dime of money they are already getting? It's the pay they get for doing their job. So are you saying they should get more because they are actually working instead of fuc&ing off?
    :confused:

6. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

I understand the employers take on this. You see pure numbers and dollar signs.

I see the not-so-quantifiable-aspect of it. A happy employee is a productive employee. I work alone, so days have passed in my office without seeing another human being. Having access to e-mail, and the off hand BBS venting session was a good form of stress relief. I am one of my work groups most productive employees, I have some of the highest numbers in the state and that's WITH personal e-mail and bbs.

This is just another of the many suffering for the few who abuse the system. I'm just tired of being the fall guy.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2003
  7. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Actually it's the other way around. The company lost it so actually the employee is "stealing" tom the company in lost work hours.

As for salary, doesn't matter. If you're not appropriating your time to your job desrciption that's lost man hours too. Whether or not you get the job done you are assigned.

Commission..that's a tough one. That's your loss if that's the case. I remember when I sold boats/bikes/atv's.... The owner put me on straight commission with NO notice. It pissed me off at first(but it paid off in the end) and it just wasn't right to do that. No sale, no check. So what did I do next. I never did anything BUT sell. I didn't clean, I didn't move vehicles in or out, I strictly sold. I was kinda being a dick about it to get my point across. But me having a high work ethic went back to being a team player and doing whatever I could as if I were salaried.

8. Rusty

Rusty WERA Code Monkey

AMEN!

But back to the issue of the blocking.

The company owns the equipment and the infrastructure that connects to the net. There is WAAAAYYY too much leisure surfing going on in most companies.

Think of it like personal phone calls.

However, companies can take it too far and block too much. That issue is very much at the front of a lot of conversations we have with our clients. We are seeing a lot more of these policies being put into place even in smaller companies.

And no offense to Ross or anyone else who likes to take a peek at the BBS when they have a minute during the day. Those few minutes spent often relieve quite a bit of stress. By taking it all away some companies might be hurting themselves in the short term, but long term I would have to agree with what mbmotorsports said.

Keep work at work, and home at home.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2003
  9. pseudocode

pseudocode Well-Known Member

When do you find time as an E.T. to surf the web? :D ;)

10. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

That's why I work for da guh-bah-ment....

11. 418

418 Expert #59

You almost had a point...but i also posted this...;)

I guess that's the fault with being a hourly employee. No matter how hard you work, it still has no effect on your income. I still have yet to work for a company that believes in rewarding for hard work. It's more like rewarding for severe ass kissing. Hence the shitty attitude, I guess.

P.S. You guys are way too easy to fuck with...LOL...:p

12. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

Or you could be like me. My job is to sit around and wait for something to break. If nothing is broken, I am just sitting around :confused:

13. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

Re: Re: Banned from the WERA BBS

That was sarcasm, right? =-)

14. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

That is what an E.T. does. We're basically high tech "Maytag-repair-men".

15. pseudocode

pseudocode Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Banned from the WERA BBS

Of course it was (see the smileys?) But -- you never know when Keith, James, or even Mr. H or Mr. M might be visiting the WERA board. ;) :p

16. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

That's what I did. Luckily for me cars/trucks breaking don't care how/when/where:D

17. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

Yeah, I really should start my own business. I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

18. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You must be one of the guys that gets called out when we open a trouble ticket on a circuit that gets mysteriously fixed without explanation, i.e., "we didn't find anything wrong". :D :D :D I've only heard that about a thousand times now. ;)

BTW, what's the inside scoop on the Verizon strike? Gonna happen?

19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Frank, the phrase is actually NTF, or "No Trouble Found." It's a legit trouble code, at least in the world of MCI, where I saw it posted in a POP somewhere.

Then again, some troubles can be cleared simply by resetting a channel bank card, or other simple device. The tech will still show NTF so that the outage won't count against the POP's record.

20. discoduc2

discoduc2 "shift wanker shift"

Thats pretty damn bad even the SMURF from N.C is,nt banned