1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banff

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Sep 4, 2019.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

We're headed up to the land of beady eyes and flapping heads this weekend and I thought I would check to see if there is any WERA knowledge about the Banff/Jasper area beyond all the normal tourist stuff.

Also on the way back we're going to spend half a day in Calgary, so any ideas for things to do or a great dinner spot would be much appreciated!

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Tommy's Neighborhood Pub. The owner is Tommy Soukas, who is a local legend and also the father of one of my son's team mates. If you mention U of L hockey I would bet you'll drink free all night.

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Oilers and Flames t-shirts for all. :beer:

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

A weekend isn’t enough time up there.
    Do the tourist stuff to get a taste and plan a few weeks later in life.

ducnut likes this.
  5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

We'll actually be there until Thursday, still not enough time I know, but it's the only way it worked.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

This. I had 3 days there on a 2 week MTB trip to BC. It wasn't enough time. Here's my 2 cents:

- Morraine Lake and Lake Louise of course you have to see, but its of course going to be super crowded. Emerald Lake same.
    - The tourists are annoying as shit, but will not venture more than 100 yards from their tour bus. literally go ANYWHERE that requires even the slightest of hikes, and you will have a much better time. i went to two waterfalls that had easy hikes of about 1.5mi each way. there'd be like 5 people there when i got to the end. took an awesome hike around Bow Lake or one of those and up to a glacier's waterfall. was awesome and totally peaceful and quiet.
    - I tried to go up the Icefields Parkway thinking i could drive thru the Northern most part and take the long way back to Calgary on my last day. That was SLOW going and traffic-ey. Totally not enough time to do that and actually stop to see anything. Leave more time.
    - I stayed 20 minutes outside the park in Golden and actually had a reasonable hotel rate each night. Everything in Banff is crazy loot.

I would give it at least a week to better see it all. I plan on going back. That trip I went to Banff, Golden, Revelstoke, Sun Peaks, Silverstar, Kamloops, Retallack Lodge, Vernon, Glacier Nat'l Park... trying to hit a bunch of iconic MTB spots and see BC interior for the first time. I only spent a day or 2 in each because of that. Next time, I'd do the same 2 weeks, but only go to like 2 places, and spend more time in each.

ducnut likes this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Watch out for zee burglar of Banff.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Do the Parkers Ridge hike if you can work it in. The view from the top of the ridge is one of my favorite anywhere. A bit steep but fairly short. We did it on the day we drove up from Banff to Jasper. We did 2 days in Banff, 3 up at Jasper, 2 back down at Moraine Lake Lodge and a an overnight at the airport for a early morning flight. If I had to skip any of that it would be the stay in Banff, but that will make for a LONG drive one day.