1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandit 400 parts

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Thumper79, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

I know it's a long shot, But I'm looking for a Bandit 400 rear shock and front fork. Actual correct parts or info about successful swaps with more readily available parts appreciated...

Cheers, Rick

2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

http://forums.banditalley.net/

Stock parts come up on ebay pretty frequently. Early GSXR shocks will bolt right in, and give you a bit more ride height. You can mod later model GSXR shocks to fit, but that requires moving the coolant overflow. A first get SV front end can be fitted with minimal effort, as well as GSXR front ends. It is just a question of what you are trying to accomplish.

3. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

ELVEE...Thanks for the link and suggestions. Any idea which of the early GSXR shocks? first gen / Slingshot /90's
    I'm looking at buying one of these 400's but the fork tubes are pitted bad from sitting ( seals bad too) and the rear shock is blown(shaft is pitted ala front)...

Before I buy I want to be sure I can find parts..

Cheers, Rick

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The shock should be the same as an late 80's 1100. It will be 1/4 inch longer than the bandit shock, but the added ride height is a big bonus. On the fork tubes, you can probably make a set of 1st gen sv tubes work. They are the same diameter. The difference on the whole frontend swap is that the SV is a bit wider due to rim width and the dual disc, and the axle is larger. It's not a problem if you're deleting the speedo drive, but if you are building this as a street bike you will need to have the stock speedo drive machined to fit the sv axle and wheel.

Oh, and for race bikes these are kinda fun, but seriously underpowered.