1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backpackers, Hikers, Campers and Outdoor People-Best Cookset

Discussion in 'General' started by funsizeracing, Apr 21, 2011.

1. funsizeracing

funsizeracing Well-Known Member

Hey outdoor type people. I'm looking to replace my 1970 camp cookware with one of those nifty nesting cooksets that's light and packs away easily. Anyone got a favorite?

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'll have to look at my set to get the name but I can give you a review real quick. I got a lightweight aluminum setup with a large and small pot both with integrated handles and a shared lid. They work well but an oversight I made is that my MSR Wisperlite International stove won't quite fit in either pot. This creates some wasted space which I try to take up by packing the pot with some food items (condiments, hot chocolate, coffee, etc). But that's not really ideal. The other issue I have is that the pots are hard to clean. I can scrub them beside a river, let them sit filled with water, etc and it never seems like they really come clean until I bring them home and scrub them with a soap and sponge. With all that said I'd probably go with a slightly larger pot, buy a smaller more packable stove, buy non-stick pots, or some combination of the three if I had it to do over again. One thing I've realized is that since I boil so much of my food I could travel much lighter with an alcohol burner setup.

3. styles

styles The untrained eye

Jet Boil.

End.

4. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

For backpacking or car camping?

5. funsizeracing

Backpacking. I have some heavy stuff for car camping.

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

If you're doing a solo weekend trip then go with the jet boil.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I get all my stuff out of the Campmor catalogue. Great selections, I'm sure they are online.

8. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Jetboil PCS :beer:

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Jet Boil

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

One more thing, I've found a way to add some luxury to my camping by shopping for the little single serving stuff at World Market. I also like the boil-in-the-bag Indian stuff too. I'm going to experiment with vacuum sealing my own homemade stuff this year.

11. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Luxury camping, that's a pretty good description :crackup:

I've had a Coleman that has accompanied me on many a backpacking trips. I want to say it's the Fyrestorm™ SS Stove. Very small, collapsible, and multi-fuel.

12. MBGSXR

MBGSXR Well-Known Member

I have beat the hell out of my MSR gear and all of my stuff has worked perfect.. Some of my buddies use jetboils and they work great to from what I have seen

13. funsizeracing

The jetboil stuff looks awesome but also has the price to go with it. I spend most of my expendable $ on racing so other hobbies are on more of a budget. I've been comparing the MSR and GSI stuff.