1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back in my day.....

Discussion in 'General' started by rwdfun, Feb 12, 2024.

1. rwdfun

rwdfun

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/12/us/how-much-snow-kids-school-snow-day-across-us-dg/index.html

I call BS. In my area. School gets canceled with far fewer amounts.

The problem is they are canceling schools a day ahead when the forecast calls for snow. Superintendents have gotten lazy, what ever happened to them getting up at 4am and driving the streets to see how bad it really is before canceling. This generation is all about instant gratification. I actually feel a little sorry for them not having the experience I did. We used to have to go to bed hoping and wake up like it was Christmas morning watching the news ticker across the bottom to see if our school was canceling. When we saw our school name scroll across the screen, you'd have thought we won the billion dollar lottery.

Nowadays the admin and teachers are worse than the kids with wanting a snow day. I have a few teacher friends. It's like company board of directors being in charge of voting themselves a raises. All in favor aye. All opposed, GTFO out Carl we don't want to hear about fiscal responsibility. Approved.

GRH, brex, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Get off my lawn!

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shovel it!

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Their map shows my area with "Not enough recorded snow days". Which makes sense, I didn't ever have a school snow day. 8-10 inches? Tough shit, go to school.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

We're all just a bunch of panzies.

6. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Grew up a military brat. In the Mid 60's may father was stationed at Plattsburg AFB NY. We lived on base and my school was across the street and up a hill. My Mom could watch me walk to school in the morning and look for me coming home in the afternoon. WTF is a snow day, Winter time Mom would help me get my snow suit on and boots( picture Randy from Christmas Story except I could put my arms down). What a great time to be a kid.

7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Your assessment of teachers and administrators is spot on!

tl1098, YamahaRick, britx303 and 2 others like this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'd guess that a lot of it is not wanting to deal with the potential lawsuits brought by the parents of some crotchfruit killed in a snow related accident.

Rebel635, mike w, Jed and 1 other person like this.
  9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Who else wore plastic bread bags over your socks and under your boots on slushy, wet days, walking to school?

I didn't do it very long thought. Recognized others didn't and I needed to toughen the fuck up. I also realized I looked stupid af taking them off at school...

Nine29, ToofPic, raven433 and 3 others like this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Or you got a bread bag with a hole in it and got wet feet anyway.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Not my district. Those kids will be in school bar none.
    Nuclear holocaust - get a helmet.
    2nd coming of Christ - Meh. Read your King James on the way to school.
    Entire family wiped out due to black plague - But did YOU die?

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

But not coaches, damn it! I will have track practice during a sharknado on Christmas day! And my kids will show up for it.

sharkattack and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Whats funny is Id end up sleeping late on snow days and lose hundreds of dollars in snow shoveling loot. :(

14. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

we used sobey's bags...for this and pretty much anything and everything. i still call all grocery bags - sobeys bags...and i live in california now, not cape breton, canada. lol.

15. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

not quite! they do it advance because otherwise - parents complain about having to make last min plans for their kids - and say they knew for days the storm was coming! so if its looking likely to be bad, they will sometimes cancel ahead of time. They have days built into the school calendar for these circumstances - so they still meet their educational time.

back home we just got dumped on ! no school for the week, and today was iffy last i saw. state of emergency situation etc.

16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We didn’t even get groceries in order to have those bags………..:D

17. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

One pic

Attached Files:

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

When they started bussing kids across town, travel became the issue and is likely why they cancel for events that woulkdn't have warranted closure decades ago. Hell, when I was in HS, students drove some of the busses.

Jed likes this.
  19. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

No.