1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B-17G ride. Anybody had one?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, Oct 19, 2018.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Coming up in Franklin NC in a few weeks, EAA has one. Thinking of taking my 2 girls. I've learned a bit about Bob Morgan of Asheville fame, interesting history. So who's rode one? Worth it? If so, what not to miss?

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I think they were in nashville a couple weeks ago. I saw it flying low and slow around and unfortunately missed a time slot to get a ride.

If you have any interest in airplanes or bad ass motors then it’ll be worth it.

jrsamples likes this.
  3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

It was in San Diego recently. I was working at NASNI, and noticed it over San Diego bay on several flights. I think they were flying out of Gillespie field.

jrsamples likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Didn't ride in one but I took my Girls to go see one at Briscoe Field here in GA about 12 Years ago.... The sight, Sound and Smell was all worth it to me.... 17girls2.jpg

Yes that was my other flip phone..LOL

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm probably an idiot but I turned down a free ride last month. My best friend was giving it to me for my birthday and truth is it didn't seem all that fun. You might say, "no fun!"...

Well, this same friend gave me a P51 ride and a day of Air Combat USA against him, so the Fortress ride seemed kind of ho-hum in comparison. I'll probably regret it but they come around here twice a year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I know I am incredibly biased because of my job in the aircraft industry. That being said, I feel like I have seen every bad thing happen that could happen. Because of that, I do not take rides in airplanes that are almost 100 years old but were designed to last 6 months.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes.
    If you remotely have any interest in aviation, WWII, etc do it if you can. They are amazing aircraft and its one of those things you'll never forget. You can see them from the ramp, even walk in the static display ones, but until your in one under power...its not the same.

(Also talking a hop in the Tri motor if you get a chance is cool as well)

And to Steve's point, yes there could be an issue and yes they are old but they also saw a lot of rebuilding and continue to see a lot of maintenance. So there is a risk but its very very low. I feel less safe getting on a Mesa Air, or most other regional jet, knowing the low cost nature of their business. If im dying in a plane crash that's not my fault, it will be in one of those flying buses with the new kids up front.

jrsamples and MikeR like this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I got to taxi sentimental journey from the CAF to the chaplin fighter museum for a airport wide airshow one year, back when chaplin was here in Mesa AZ. Was too young to fly as a member so I never got to go up before I stopped going there.
    The amount of maintenance performed on them is enormous and non-stop. They have 4 engines and no bomb or ammo load. Very safe IMO.

jrsamples likes this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

When you go for a ride do they let you sit in the gun turrets ? :D

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I dont remember, but think so. But you did get to move around the plane once in the air. For T/O and landing you had to be sitting.

There was an article a year or so ago about getting the last complete b17 crew together for a final flight. So they found a pilot co pilot, nav, gunner, etc.
    They talked about how many of them could hardly walk, walkers, wheelchairs, O2 tanks etc. After talking for a while and walking around the plane when they got ready to get in the plane they all got moving much better, knew where to put their hands, feet, how to climb in etc. And these 80-90 yo guys started moving like 20yo guys again. The whole flight they were like that. It was awesome to read about these heroes feeling like young men again.

Thats the reason why i hope they keep flying them.

Plus they sound cool as hell.

K51000, Senna, jrsamples and 4 others like this.
  11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'll probably go for a ride one of these days. My dad was a B-17 flight engineer.

jrsamples, Banditracer and Razr like this.
  12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I flew in the Memphis Belle when I was in like 3rd or 4th grade. It was in Fayetteville, NC while my dad was earning his pilots license. Stopped in at the FBO for an airshow and then had a brake malfunction and crashed at the end of the taxi-way. So it ended up sitting there for about a year I remember correctly. Anyway, long story short, dad and the FBO crew got to know people associated with the plane and before it left, took some people up. I got to play in the gunner turret and move it around while on the ground.....freaking cool as hell.

K51000, jrsamples and Banditracer like this.
  13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My Dad was in B24's over the PTO...Planes' engineer/mechanic and top turret gunner. He was also the third pilot, taught how to land but not takeoff. Shooting those 50 cal's with cotton for ear plugs left him pretty deaf. I'd love to get a flight just to see what it was sort of like. Having looked at one at Wright Patterson they are very primative though it is amazing the difference that occurred between WW1 and WW2.

Razr and jrsamples like this.
  14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Wow. That's very cool. Amazing that you two are here today, considering how many men died in those machines. I think it was said that just the AAF lost as many crew as were killed in all of Vietnam, not that any life given for the country is any different.
    Why don't you show up? You'd probably get out pretty cheap.:Poke:

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

This one says that you are seated during take off and landing but have free range while in flight. I'd like to get a view out that glass nose. and then try to imagine what it was like to see someone trying to kill you while looking out the tail gunner position.

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Usually not the ball turret in flight, but everything else is good to go.

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Rare. You may want to read: https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Flew...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch
    It is a great read.

18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

So we should ride in separate flights? :D

19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Well, for props, there is no higher view than from the P51, so I can understand that. If I ever have the extra cash, I'd like to take a spin in that MIG 29, edge of space gig.

I think that it is a good thing to help these kids touch the sacrifice that went on at that time. Fact is, they just don't really see what some gave up to answer the call. That and the fact that they will be moving on with their lives pretty soon.

rd400racer likes this.
  20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Go for it! A few years ago they had the "Heavy Bombers Weekend" at a regional airport just outside of Madison. The wife and I ended up going up on a ride in the T-6, it was a blast. My co-worker also moonlights at the GA gassing planes and he got free rides in the B17 and B29. He said that they were highlights of the decade for him.