1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automotive windshield repair

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Aug 20, 2015.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Got smacked 3 times on a recent road trip. Two are star shaped with one about the size of a half dollar and the other the size of a quarter. They are within 2" of each other. These happened simultaneously. (driver side but not line of sight) The third is the size of pinkie nail low on the windshield and a combo bulls-eye / star.

How much does it cost to have done professionally? I can get a DIY kit for under $15. Syringe, pull vacuum, then inject epoxy, repeat. I've done it before but on smaller windshield dings.

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm not a windshield repair guy but a few being in the same vicinity sounds like its going to not be repaired to me. On a similar note we had my wife's just replaced due to some road debris nailing hers, cost of the deductible, only ended up being like 50$ out of pocket, and they don't dock you on your insurance because of that usually.

3. caferace

caferace No.

Here in Kalifornia you can normally get it done for very close to if not nothing, as the installer covers the deductible. Insurers cover the rest and don't increase your rates. I've had to do it a few times, as the highway I used to travel on all the time had a lot of trucks and Subaru windshields make Pedrosa's bones look like titanium.

Yeah, some things suck here, but that isn't one of them. :D

-jim

4. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Call your insurance company. My insurance company will fix cracks for free.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

are any marks in the line of sight? The won't repair if they are.. getting a new windshield is not that big a deal either way. They can replace them faster than you can do a shield change on an Arai

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Make sure you overlook it after they've put them in too. I've had an instance where 4 of 5 windshields had defects in them (think looking through someone else's glasses). It will make your vision wonky and give you headaches. I see it on about 10% of customer vehicles, drives me nuts when its in your field of vision.

I go sit in a parking lot facing trees and move around to see the area of concern. Something about the trees makes it easy to pickout, maybe the vertical lines or the contrast behind the windshield.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Thanks for the coffee all over my keyboard...:crackup:

8. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I have not taken a picture yet, nor have I fixed it. Since I don't have glass coverage I'll have to pay for the repair hence the DIY vs. having a pro do it. I've repaired a dinged windshield before with good results, but not one with this much spider cracking. Some of the cracks are 1"-1.5" in length.

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

we do glass repairs at my place for 20 bucks per chip. When they are splitting, no matter how small the lines... we do not guarantee that it won't crack even more during the repair because it very well might

You'll need a new glass with the splits being that long. Some places will dremel the ends of the splits and fill so they don't expand, but again... No guarantees

If you're going to get it done get it done now. I've seen spider cracks go all the way just from temperature changes

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wait til they turn into cracks then get a new windshield (got two out of line of sight on the Jeep since it's first month and still waiting).