1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automotive battery load tester

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Jul 12, 2021.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

My wife's car battery died , I replaced it and checked the charging voltage with my Fluke DVM, I'm using this opportunity to buy another tool and am interested in a load tester. Are the digital units better/worse than the carbon pile testers? I realize they aren't true load testers

Amazon.com: FOXWELL BT705 12V 24V Car Battery Tester Automotive 100-2000 CCA Battery Load Tester Auto Cranking and Charging System Test Scan Tool Digital Battery Analyzer for Vehicles and Heavy Duty Trucks: Automotive

Looking for any opinions from the full time mechanics
    Probably want to cap the purchase amount to not exceed $200 unless there's a compelling reason to do so
    Thanks

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The digital ones are better. The toaster oven ones you can't set the type of battery, the amp hour or cold cranking amps. Get a digital one because you can use it for all types of batteries

GRH likes this.
  3. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I've worked in the battery industry for 15 years. The electric ones are usually more portable, but I like how the old school load testers let you actually see how the voltage drops off on a weak battery. Or, conversely, how voltage stays rock solid over 15 seconds on a new battery. That gives me more info on exactly the state of the battery. But that info is not necessary. An electronic unit will give you an answer to your main question (Is this battery good or bad?) just as well.

backbone and GRH like this.
  4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The old school ones can warm your hands up when it's cold outside. LOL

5. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Lol. I started my career working at a Batteries Plus store in Wisconsin. In the beginning of the winter season, I'd change about 10-12 car batteries per day, outside. Needless to say...I know what you mean!

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Follow up, I got the one in the Amazon link, it tests the battery CCA, engine start voltage, charging voltage at idle loaded (hi beam lights on, blower on) and unloaded, same test with engine rev'd
    Decent tool, easy to use, comes in a hard case

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I agree I like the carbon pile type testers but you need to know what a bad battery looks like, may not be great for a dyi type. Or just say f it and put a new battery in every 5 years.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Digital for sureā€¦..