1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Sep 2, 2020.

1. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

In the process of leaving Progressive. They're cost effective but they've told me to go pound sand on an auto and a homeowners claim. Zero interest in helping, whatsoever. Perhaps my issue was that I didn't go through an agent originally, went straight to corporate. I've heard having a good agent makes or breaks a claim. Using an agent this time, with SF.

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

ive had geico for a few years now, been very happy with the pricing and customer service when we have needed them. they also put money into the sports that most of us follow here.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

4. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

USAA stopped insuring bikes quite a while back. They are underwritten by Progressive for bikes. Subsequently USAA became too expensive for our four vehicles and 3 motorcycles so we switched it all to Progressive including homeowner's insurance. Nearly 40% savings...

gapman789 likes this.
  5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

What’s “quite a while”? My dad had his last bike was through them all of 2 years ago.

6. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

5-6 years ago... They tried doing it before that when adding a new bike to my policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have Farmers for house and car and Progressive (online via website, not through an agent) for bikes. Progressive is easy for online signup and payment but I've never had any kind of claim with them. Farmers is stupid expensive and I'm thinking of changing over at least one of my cars to Progressive. More than 25 years with Farmers and only had one claim on homeowners, for an icemaker leak, they called it a slow leak (not covered) instead of a sudden leak (which supposedly would be) and denied it. I was furious. The actual cost to repair turned out to be pretty low so I didn't fight it but I'm still aggravated about it.

I've been scared to change over the cars because I've heard stories about it being so tough to get paid, at least I know the Farmers agent and I THINK he would fight for me. He did when Farmers dropped our homeowners because we are in a high risk fire area - they had been insuring the house for 10 years and the other house before that for more than 15 - but the agent found a solution for us so he kept our business.

8. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Last I knew, neither Geico, or Progressive, are home owners companies.
    They partner with companies you've never heard of, like Homesite, to provide homeowners.
    Check your policies to see who's actually insuring your home

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

AAA for house

Were great to me when my neighbors tree split my roof

10. Hotfoot

Not sure if you were talking to me on this but to be clear, the agent that I said "found a solution for us" was the Farmer's agent. Where we are there is no choice anymore except to use the CA Fair plan for fire insurance, then we have supplemental insurance with Farmers on top of that.

Only the bikes are with Progressive, although I'm thinking of switching one of the cars because the Farmer's rate is crazy high for it. I think it is over a certain HP limit that they don't like.

11. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I had Amica for years for home and auto and had to use Progressive for M/C, boat, and rv stuff though. Splitting it all was cheapest and the both gave excellent support when needed. Recently switched to Farm Bureau insurance to cover my wife's business, auto, home and trailer. Haven't had to file a claim through them so not sure how that will be, but they were way cheaper while covering several more things.

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I have USAA checking/credit cards, so when i bought a boat, i looked at their insurance. And Progressive was the underwriter. Too high.

jasonhise likes this.
  13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Nobodys' mentioned FOREMOST? Yall know they cover bikes on the track, no questions asked.

Coverage is very good, not just state minimums.......$500 deduct, accessory, trailer, rental, hotel if stranded, roadside, etc.....
    I pay $722 yr full coverage for:

2018 Polaris XP Turbo
    2016 Aprilia Tuono
    2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2013 HD NRS
    2013 Yamaha WR450F (comp only)

The polaris which is designed and made to be totaled on any given day, was only $200-ish a yr.
    FOREMOST also includes it on motorcycle policies and not auto.

Of course, age, state, driving record, credit, eye color.....all matters in the insurance scam of things.

jasonhise likes this.
  14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The insurance companies have all you guys snowed.
    Every post here is about company names not price. Half the time no matter what company you have they use contract adjusters for your claim.
    Agents have zero say on how claims are handled so put that out of your head right now.

The difference between Hillbilly insurance and State farm is NOTHING other than price.

I may or may not have 25 years of experience in the insurance business and may have stayed in a holiday inn last night

15. Hotfoot

I am very curious about this, I don't care about name, all I care about is:
    1) A company that will actually cover me and pay if there is an accident. I have never filed a vehicle claim, in 28 years.
    2) a good app so I don't have to carry paper proof of insurance
    3) easy online access to add, view or change vehicles.

Do you think all insurance companies have the same likelihood of actually paying out, in a reasonable time, at a reasonable rate? I have heard so many horror stories about people getting screwed when they really do have a problem that should be covered, and the only reason I currently use a big-name company is the idea (perhaps totally incorrect) that they have a reputation to protect and will not screw me over on a claim because they wouldn't want an angry customer online complaint. Seems like there are horror stories about EVERY company, though. :(

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Interesting, they don't mention this on their site, any references? Do they insure non-plated stuff too?

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Insurance companies only understand two things.

1. They can screw over most people and get away with it.
    2. They likely can't screw over those willing to hire an attorney.

The insurance industry is where the mob went when the got run out of Vegas.

18. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

A few notes on various posts

Foremost is the second tier company of Farmers

Independent adjusters with any knowledge of construction or autos are being priced out of the market

One major company (Hartford) is now paying some sap $150 flat rate to drive to your home, photo and document everything and turn that over to someone at a desk somewhere to write the repair estimate.

$150 less taxes, gas, wear and tear, equipment and time spent, you'd make more being a Walmart greeter

So, a quality adjustment? Prepare to fight to get the settlement you need

Other companies have beefed up the "right to repair" clause in the policy. They then send a contractor willing to work for peanuts to fix your home.

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Put on your diving gear and jump into the slime pond.
    You'll find them all at the bottom...pick one.

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

If they are an admitted carrier they all have adequate means to pay and are usually backed by a state pool all companies pay into in case they can't. The state insurance commissioners aren't going to let companies show up and sell policies without the financial resources to pay claims. It's not uncommon for them to by reinsurance which is them buying insurance against you making a claim