1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto bodywork repair question

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave_SV, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I know there are a few auto body guys on the board so I figured this was a good a place as any to get some advice. 2015 F150, found a 5" scratch on the passenger side rear panel. The scratch goes through the clear and color down to the bare metal. Truck is fairly new so I want to get this repaired.

I went to a local body shop and got a quote of $780 to repair and that's assuming I pull off the trim, bed cap, bumper and decal so all the painter has to do is prep and spray. Does this sound about right? Attached are a few photos of the scratch, I understand doing things the right way costs money but this was a bit more than I was expecting.

Any chance this is something a novice could tackle? I have a decent spray gun and the truck fits inside the garage so I could set up a booth but I have never done this type of work before and it would suck if I botched the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem unreasonable. Is there any metallic in the paint? Is he respraying the whole side or just doing a blend job.

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Have that Boda dude get you a 2 tone job using that green you guys had on your race bikes a few years back.

4. Dave_SV

The stock color is called Tuxedo Black, it's black with metallic flake. The quote included painting the entire panel not just blending the scratch.

Still can't believe we paid good money for that...

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

if you cant take the price, brush touch up. price seems a little steep with you doing all the r&i stuff.

that decal wont be cheap, and that bedrail will probably be a one time use item, if you don't know how to take it off correctly.

real repair estimate would be similar to this:
    r&i rear bumper
    r&i tail gate
    r&i/set back box (to be able to get a good finish where the cab meets the bed, and not a bunch of tape lines, and dry spray)
    box bolts/nuts (one time use from ford (not cheap)
    r&i bedliner (if spray on, add for repairing that)
    r&i tonneau
    r&i rt bed rail (may be one time use, depending on who removes it)
    r&i tail lamp
    r&r 4x4 decal
    r&i flare (I think that has a flare hard to tell from pic angle)
    repair panel, (depending on if that is the ONLY damage to the panel)
    refinish panel.
    color tint
    corrosion protection (if there are dents, dings, that need metal finishing)
    haz waste removal
    materials.

your results may vary. Ski

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Touch that shit up with some gloss black catalysed paint and a very fine brush then wet sand and buff lightly. It'll be a lot better and not cost you a shit ton of money

You're going to get more scratches on the thing. It's not worth the money for that scratch. On blacks and whites this method wrks well if done with patience. Any other color I'd say fix it and spry it. If you were in utah I'd do that shit for free an you would barely notice it

GSmann, speedluvn and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. Dave_SV

Yeah that was the first quote I got, total came out to $1,300 so I asked for an alternate quote with no R&I.

8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Don't half ass it. Paint edges always end up peeling

9. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Price is legit. Just for that scratch, about a foot radius would need to be sanded and primed. Paint the Whole bedside and buff afterwards.
    I'd do it for 500 as an independent and let you take care of the decal.

10. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Touch-up bottle from the auto parts store, wipe down with acetone, carefully fill scratch. You're going to get more scratches, dings and rock chips, consider this just part of the break-in process on a new vehicle. Now you don't have to get stressed about every inevitable little chip, ding or scratch.

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Yeah plan on buying that upper trim rail if you do all the r&i. Ford rails ALWAYS break. The plastic mounts on the underside are stupid thin at the contact points. Dumbest design ever.

12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Get Chris 3 post above to do it or touch it up with black and a fine brush and let it eat.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a truck, ignore and drive. :D

JJJerry likes this.
  14. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

But they sell a lot of rails. ;)

15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Da fuq? Spoken like a Bodyman haha

Attached Files:

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

remember chris... body men only remember their biggest bump time for 1 panel, and that was their average... they remember their biggest frame pull fee , and that was their average. and they remember their biggest paycheck, and that WAS their average, and they are in the office daily, telling the shop mgr, owner, they are getting screwed. LOL!

been there, done that, got the picture, and tshirt. :D

Ski

17. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

A Wera sticker should cover that, and they're free.

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

or a whole lot of bullet hole stickers

[​IMG]

19. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

Go to one of those ding king joints. They do amazing work for next to nothing

20. Dave_SV

Thanks for all the responses. I looked into replacement costs for bed rail, fender flare and decal and it only comes out to $200 so I will definitely do the r&i myself.

I have a bottle if color matched touch up paint but the scratch is so deep it needs to be filled first, otherwise I just wind up with a black scratch instead of a silver one.

I know I should just stop worrying about it and just drive but just knowing it's there will drive me nuts! I lightly curbed one of the rims recently and couldn't deal with it, wound up buying a replacement rim and refinishing the original...

And that ding King comment can't be serious!

BigBird likes this.