1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Q5

Discussion in 'General' started by red2002, May 11, 2013.

1. red2002

red2002 Member

I know there are some Kraut-mobile lovers on the board, so share your wisdom.

Been looking at a new Audi Q5 and am close to pulling the trigger.

Anybody have any experience with them?

It's a 2 liter turbo, 211 hp in a 4000 lb. vehicle. Wonder if the motor is constantly have its neck wrung to pull that much weight and if that affects the longevity. Won't be towing, but lots of hills around here. Audi does have tons of the 2 liters in A4's, so the motor's been around a long time.

Sales rep also said that it's not uncommon (and acceptable) for the motor to use a quart of oil per 1000 miles.

Planning to keep it a long time and aside from the usual "German-car-out-of-warranty$$" caveat, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

2. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

The missus is looking at one as well. Either the q5 or the infiniti ex35.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Great motor! I had the 1.8t in my jetta and now the 2.0t in my A3. Yeah, it uses some oil and a quart every 1K is not unheard.

we've been looking at the Q5 and will eventually have one and it won't be the 4. 2 tons for the four gives me the willies. Still, as an around town and grocery getter, the 4 might work.

An oil change will cost you "around" $120 at the dealership, brake service is over $1K and the rest of the services will make your butthole sting a bit but it's not porsche or MB bad.

4. red2002

red2002 Member

The one we looked at yesterday was in "premium plus" trim and had the color nav package with the better-gooder sound system.

Beautiful interior, love the feel of the thing. My compact wife said she could see out just fine.

Sticker is ~ $46k and the dealer would knock only $1000 of list and said there was no sense trying for more. Not much, is it?

The 6 adds several thousand more, about the cost of the fancy options. They had half-a-dozen of the 4's on the lot and no 6's.

Going to try another dealer today.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They are getting full sticker and the $1K is about as good as you are going to get. All the cockhead who used to buy BMWs and the Lexus clones are going Audi now, they are the hot ticket.

You'll find a lot of fours around since that's what Audi is selling by the boatload.

You know, if you have time a diesel version is coming and so is the SQ5 hot rod version. ;)

6. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Had mine for two months and have over 8,000 miles on it. The motor is really deceptive. When we were told the hp numbers, I kinda chuckled and figured it would be a slug. It isn't. I mean, it isn't an S4 or anything even though it is the A4 platform...

But, the car handles nicely and has a lot of great features. But, it is a car. Again, A4 chassis so, no leg room in the back. Does have a nice amount of head room up front, though. The open roof is sweet and the Nav, features, etc are very nice also.

Some things have me scratching my head. The driving lights are regular bulbs and look shit compared to the headlights. Hate you cannot shut the trunk with the remote. You can open, but cannot close. Have to use the button... Sucks as you open from the driver's side and have to walk to the passenger side to push the button...

As for the amount on oil changes, the free regular maintenance covers that.

The motor in sport mode is more than capable for a mommie vehicle. I run mostly in the "D" setting and get solid fuel economy even at 80-85 on the freeway. Comes off the stop lights well. The tranny is still something I sorta hate. It is a better CVT than before, but it still has that slight delay and a slipping feel I cannot stand. I am sure a chip will cure that issue.

You will need to run mid grade at worse and mostly should use premium. The car doesn't like regular...

The littel things I enjoy since I drive so much:

-Auto speed wipers. Set and forget. NICE!
    -Heated seats are damn near instant. And, nuclear powered as if on the highest setting, it nukes your ass in seconds. Nice to get in, start, run and by the time you get ready to roll, the seat is toasty.
    -Pano roof. Love it.
    -Nav system is very nice and like the fact it is on the dash also so, I can run the radio and watch the stations, etc without having to switch back and forth.

Wish it had list:

-Remote start. My buddy has had remote start on his Chevy for a thousand years. A $46k car should have it also.
    -Button on the trunk. Not saying to copy Ford's idea, but let me use the remote to close. Or, have touch sensors on the corners depending on which side you are on similar to the door lock system.
    -USB - USB - USB!!!! Again, rented thousands of rental cars and the shit box micro cars even have a USB port.
    -Audi electrical issues. Already have the power port sockets not working!! This may be a sign. The electrical gremlins are why my parents left Audi after several models and years to BMW.

7. red2002

red2002 Member

Well, just test drove a 4-banger and was pleasantly surprised. Wow, is that a nice car, but I'm a sucker for German stuff.

It has the premium plus trim with color nav, but the standard sound system and is about $1500 less than the one I looked at yesterday.

They took $1000 off list, but will give me a deal on the all-weather floor and cargo mats.

As Lizard 1 said, the engine is really deceptive; smooth, quiet, no hot rod, but never once felt underpowered. Handles great, very nimble and not at all "truckish" like other SUVs I've driven.

Lizard: this one will close electrically with a button on the hatch, but guess not with the fob.

Ah, shit, I'm gonna pick the thing up next weekend.

Appreciate the input.

Mike

8. Smithjeb

Smithjeb Well-Known Member

just bought my wife a '13 with the new 3.0T - one off color silver something. nicest car I have ever driven.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm as Kraut as they come, German bike and car in the garage but a quart every 1000 miles is acceptable?!

That's a joke. My 75 Vega didn't burn that much.

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

No shit! these skinny jean wearing f#cks buying these things have no clue. Frankly, any car that needs a quart (let alone 3 or 4!!!!!!!!) of oil before a scheduled oil change is a POS in my book.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you can't check your oil once a week or two and can't afford $6 for a quart of oil you need to buy a Toyota.

12. rd400racer

That's not the point. A new vehicle shouldn't require a quart a month. My daughters 96 328 with 150K+ miles only uses about 1/2 a quart every 3 months

Audi is just an inferior machine.

13. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Lease an Audi if you really want one. Dont buy it unless yo rich bich! You say you plan on keeping it for a long time...open up a savings account for the repairs it will need once its out of warranty. My neighbor had one, started having various issues before it was out of warranty. Luckily it was a lease.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My 2.0t uses half a quart every 5K. I check my oil. I also check my coolant, air pressure, brake fluid, air filter and armor all my steering wheel so it doesn't "hang up."

Shit, I'd safety wire the air caps if I had a spool of wire.

Why? I'll put up with it all because of the engine and the way the car drives/ looks/ is. It's a maintence intense german redhead that gives me a boner.

15. caferace

caferace No.

I don't know. Until they move the motor in the frame the front is always going to handle like crap.

Oh ... wait. :D

-jim

16. rd400racer

Fair enough. All joking aside and as you mentioned, Audi is the shit right now because they really do make a damn good looking machine. My brother had the 1.8 and loved it. And I think most of us here are maintenance freaks too

But I still say if you have to add a quart every 1000 miles, that is a bit extreme.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Extreme? yeap! I'd be a bit pissed at a quart every 1K but still. . . . I'd buy another.

We are looking at going back to VW because to replace the A3 because there is no 5 door A3 with the new bodystyle. or we might order a new 2013 old body style A3 tomorrow for motherday. :D

18. rustyracer66

rustyracer66 Well-Known Member

I'm an Audi tech here in Atlanta. The 2.0 Q5 is relatively problem free in comparison to the A6, 7, and 8. Less fancy shit to break.

Definitely recommend the "Audicare" maintenance add-on. You'll end up paying quite a bit more to do the maintenance services a-la-carte.

The 2.0s from model year 2012 and on no longer burn oil. They redesigned the crankcase breather system, and installed different pistons which seemed to correct that issue.

Audi is currently covering pistons and the updated breather system for anyone owning an a4/q5 from 07-11 that is burning too much oil, and is under 60,000 mi. It requires an oil consumption test, which involves two trips to the dealer. If they find it's burning over 0.25qts per 1000, you get new pistons, or new rings for the 07-08 a4s.

19. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have the 2013 and the button does shut it - but it is on the passenger side. When I am in our driveway, I back up into a spot and raise the hatch with the fob and grab my luggage from the driver's side. I got to walk over to the back and press the button to close it. Sucks...

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

But if they buy a Toyota it wont use a drop of oil between changes and they wont be able to experience the worst electrical system since Lucas.