1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATL peeps, need travel advice

Discussion in 'General' started by kaoyagi, Jan 14, 2016.

1. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

I'm driving into ATL on a Friday afternoon and need to be at Georgia Tech by 6:30. I'm coming from NC and need to know at that time what is a realistic amount of time to give myself from 85 and 285? Thanks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No 285 needed, 85 straight into town. 6:30pm coming in won't be too bad until you get closer to the 400 interchange and the connector(where 85 meets 75, you'll be on it for an exit or two to get to Tech). I'd give myself an extra 30 minutes more than whatever a GPS or mapping program says just to be sure (okay personally I'd do 45 and be there way the hell early but that's me).

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Remember it's Atlanta you are always 1 ladder in the road way or upside down car away from never making it to your destination. Heed Mongo's advice and don't cut it too close.

4. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Friday evenings can be tricky if there are any major events going on. Might want to check the Dome/World Congress Center, Phillips Arena schedules to make sure.

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Definitely check the event calendar. Do you have parking if it's an event at GT? Personally I'd allow an hour. Friday traffic sucks in every direction.

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Is 85 better than 20?

7. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

That was my commute for about 7 years. With normal traffic, it's 15-20 minutes from the 85/285 interchange to campus (depending on what part). Like Mongo said, the 400 merge is the start of most traffic clogs going southbound. That doesn't get better, since a couple miles later 75 and 85 merge. Traffic moves, but just slower. It typically adds about 10 minutes, but that can balloon to 2-3x that if there is an event or incident. Personally, I'd plan for 45 minutes, but I know the area. Someone less familiar might want a little more time.

It also depends on which part of campus. The business school/gatech hotel is right off the interstate, but a 5 blocks from exits on either side. McCamish Pavilion and Bobby Dodd are on east campus, but you take the earlier 14/10th exit. Honestly, I get off at the 14th/10th during that time of day for any part, since it avoids the 85/75 connector, which is a bit of a cluster. If you need to go to west campus, student center, etc... add another 10 or so minutes to navigate the surface streets plus 5-10 for parking and walking. Student center is a pay lot, as is the lot next to the physics building (at ferst and state), the deck on state street next to the new bioengineering buildings, and the deck at the hotel/conference center. There are a couple other lots, but I don't really use those. Quick edit, don't bother trying to find free parking. GT parking enforcement sucks, and any parking area (including adjacent neighborhoods) is already zoned. The parking rates are pretty reasonable for inside the city, and $1-2 per hour for the lots I mentioned.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on where you're going, when you're going, where you're coming from and where the ladder is that day.

Phl218 and ungwaha like this.
  9. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

I meant the 285/85 interchange. I'm staying at the Renaissance hotel right next to tech and then walking to the Ferst Center at tech for a show.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

10. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Like Sean said. 85 directly into town. No 285.

Give yourself an extra buffer of about 45 to 1 hour for the traffic.

11. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I can't think of a reason, coming from the large majority of NC, to go all the way down
    That's how I understood you (and how I geared my reply). I'm assuming the Renaissance on West Peachtree. Just a heads up, if you park there and walk, it's a solid 20 minute walk.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Give yourself twice the amount of time you think... I have sat between the 400 Interchange and North Avenue sometimes for over an hour.. ( 3 miles) like others said.. Look at what's going on in the city... I can guarantee you there are no Braves or Falcons Games...

13. grandboy2

grandboy2 Active Member

Just hope it doesn't rain.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just don't leave any valuables in clear site in your car.... My Mom lives across the street from Tech off Means St and there have been many many break in reported lately...

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

on a friday at that hour and rain…..good luck :)

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Maybe you'll get lucky and experience a "wintery mix" forecast that day.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Every time I've driven around down there have always been at least one couch and a mile or two down the road a mattress and a smashed chest of drawers in the left lane.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those are around too but they get more time off than the ladders do. There are 3 or 4 ladders that just move around town jumping in and out of travel lanes. Always fun to guess where they'll be next.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Here in NoVa we get big ass flat screen tvs. People too cheap to have them delivered and decide to take them home in the back of a pick up and not tied down. :D

TVs and chairs.

People behind stop and snag that ladder and be 2 miles up the road before the guy who lost it even had time to stop. :D Free ladders are gold here!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Here they turn into aluminum scrap which is worth a little but most are fiberglass and shatter.