1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asphalt Experts

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jun 2, 2020.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

After living in my house for 25 years, we finally broke down last October and had our driveway repaved and a circular drive put in. Everything seemed fine and we adhered to the break in process that the company presented us upon completion.

So here we are 7 months later. They claim it should have properly cured in 6 months and it has been through winter and spring...should have been optimal curing months. Yesterday was fairly warm (83) and I went to move my wife's car to get the bikes out. I did not grind the power steering into the asphalt and it left 4 marks that damn near looked like the asphalt was disintegrating. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. I've sent the pics off to the company (I have a 1 year warranty) but what should I expect out of this confrontation. I like to have the answers before I ask the questions so I can determine if they're feeding me a line of crap.

It doesn't look like much but it was worse than the pictures show...

[​IMG]image posting
    [​IMG]

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Was it the same guy who paved Jennings GP?

G8rDuc likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Were the paving guys out of Murphy Village just outside North Augusta?

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

or travel in every spring and also sell wood chairs?

Company I worked for years ago cheaped out on the subgrade and when it got hot or really cold, the pavement looked like a ribbon being flicked when the large delivery trucks would come in.

As for your issue, RD, I got no idea. Not rolled down "tight enough?" Heck if I know, good luck.

5. rd400racer

After re-reading all the info that the company gave me upon completion, it says curing takes 6-12 months. Somehow I got 6 months in my head. They even say to water it on hot days. It still seems too soft, but then again I deal in concrete...I just wasn't willing to spend $50K for a concrete driveway.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Did they use recycled asphalt/millings? Seems like not enough binder in the mix. And how the F do you get a 1 year warranty when it may take 1 year to cure? Sounds like an easy out to me.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. rd400racer

Yeah, that occurred to me too. I'll keep a close eye on it. Funny thing is that the circular portion, which was brand new construction, seems to be doing fine. It's the part where they went over the
    existing old driveway that seems soft. And that area was compacted just fine and it was the same batch of asphalt. Don't know if it was recycled. They bought the asphalt from a plant that I've used on industrial projects.

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Was it a "great price"..:D

rd400racer likes this.
  9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

And they were in his neighborhood and had enough left over from doing a job down the street.

I did concrete for my big ass driveway because I wanted less maintenance

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sometimes a mix is the best choice...concrete where you regularly park and work, asphalt to get from there to the street.

tl1098 and gixxerboy55 like this.
  11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

At my previous business, the asphalt looked like new after 25 years.

At my new location, it looks like shit after 12.