1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

art of braking - by keith code

Discussion in 'General' started by soxxerms, Sep 18, 2009.

1. soxxerms

soxxerms no chckn strips 4 sale

thought someone would like to read :

The Fine Art of Braking
    By Keith Code

2. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Brakes?

We don't need no stink'in brakes!

[​IMG]

3. soxxerms

priceless hank.:up:

4. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

5. vance

vance *

On a similar note, the new Motor Cyclist has a cool article on braking from Code.
    It also features the electric bikes from the TT deal at IOM.
    After reading the article, I want to ride an electric bike.:up:
    No sound at all, just the rattling of the chain. That would be cool.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Electric bikes do make a sound...its just different. The motors hum and also making as swishing sound due to them rotating.

7. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Attending Keith's school was the best thing I've ever done for my riding/racing.

8. CephasGT

CephasGT Track Day Dreamer

Ahh, Keith Code... Using so many words, to say so little, like no one ever before. :rolleyes:

9. sdg

sdg *

Not to mention gently stroking the ego of the paying customer.

10. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

I agree that no brakes drills are helpful - it's surprising how quick you can get around.

Code just gets himself off a little too much with the writing, but a lot of the messages are sound.

11. You can tell that he has put alot of thought into trying to understanding what works, how it works, why it works, and how to communicate that to others. And I think he is very good at that.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

If the no brakes drill works for some people, great. One critical aspect that Code does not address or just plains ignors is using the brakes to help with the front end geometry of the bike and getting the bike to turn better.

I understand the setting your cornerspeed and concentration etc.. But how can a rider get better at setting their corner speed using the brakes by not using the brakes? How can any rider get better at braking by not using the brakes and developing good braking skills.

I think he puts way too much emphasis on not using the brakes enstead of using the brakes. All riders should start developing braking skills that will make you a faster and safer rider by using the brakes.

13. Rebel-762

Rebel-762 Well-Known Member

great article

very good points!

14. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

[​IMG]

Keith will not guide you to supreme braking. He's showing you the penny loaf ears, alligator icon wearing fag get toes are the braking techniques.

You need to ramp up about 120mph, hit the front brake until you lock it up. Once you lock it up, you feel the front end cave in. At the moment, you release brakes.

Repeat this drill over and over. You will lose about 9mph on average. You then immediately run back up to the set speed, hammer the front brake and wait for the front end to cantilever about 20°, then release the brake.

Expect to blow the fork seals in about 20 tries or less. Dis is your minimum. You are now conditioned to feel the front end wash and your instinct is to release then apply brakes.

Your conditioning will bring the bacon home. Die know how to win, not read 'word association' ass if eye had a command of the ing lish lang witch.

"Bring Get!" :crackup::cool: Instinct gets you DARE! :Poke: Yeah, WOThe fuck do I know.

15. kwakrider

kwakrider Member

16. maine11204

maine11204 Well-Known Member

17. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

who needs brakes? all they do is slow you down!

18. soxxerms

good post.

19. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Kudos on this post. Keith's deal is that he goes dead nut in the middle to cover as many people as he can. Cool when generalizing, but not so good when talking performance riding...

Awesome post, G. Couldn't have said it better!:up:

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Whatever happened to the "Oh shit!" braking drill? :D