1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

armourbodies feedback - fitment issues

Discussion in 'General' started by w00tw00t, Jul 11, 2010.

1. w00tw00t

w00tw00t Active Member

I recently ordered a set of ArmourBodies Pro Series bodywork for my 2009 Yamaha R6 and just finished installation.

Basically I'm super disappointed. I'm not a newbie to racebody work installation, and even with a ton of patience, alignment checking and double-checking, the bodywork was a huge struggle to mount. Almost all of the pre-marked mounting points are mis-aligned... the belly pan doesn't sit flush with the upper etc. I got it done finally but it was a real uphill battle.

The only good side is the quality of the fiberglass is great and the finish is really good - but I'm very disappointed with the fitment.

I'm regretting not getting Sharkskinz - those always fit perfect!

2. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I've mounted about 8 sets or so of AB's and never had any issues that would make me spend the extra $ on Sharkskinz.

I have always been very pleased with the AB product!

3. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

I guess if the chit wasn't made in china i wouldn't have a problem with it. But the finish primer is GAY . It's like unercoated or spackled on. Too bad it isn't made in Canadia anymore. I heard this stuff doesn't fit good anymore too.

But it will never be as good as the local stuff I get over here in so cal. hand made by americans :)

4. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

the set i have went on real easy.

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I've mounted several sets of AB and never had some much as one fitment issue. Can you post up and pics of the problems?

6. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

when they first moved production over to China they had quite a few different problems. Billy actually moved over there to oversee the manufacturing directly and from what i understand things are back on track for the most part. it could be that you got a set that was made during that ramp-up stage.

the set i got for my 10R is a newer set and was a piece of cake to fit up. have you been in contact with AB? describe your problems to them.. perhaps they'll be willing to help in some way.

7. old and busted

old and busted Well-Known Member

Made in China with North American pricing.

8. backMarker01

backMarker01 Well-Known Member

if you bought it from woodcraft go over to the nesba forums.AB have their own thread on the site and respond to peoples praise and complaints pretty often.

9. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

You should go talk to Armour Bodies directly about their bodywork instead of bashing their good name on the public forums. I had a set that didn't fit perfect and after talking to them, they sent me replacement pieces for free. Turns out one of their molds got a little out of whack so they fixed the problem free of charge.

Why do people always go making a whole thread to complain about one bad experience instead of just talking to the people they got the product from?! And no, sharkskinz don't always fit perfect either. Take pictures of the problems and give them a call. They are a good company and i'm sure will help you out despite you going right on ahead and trying to hurt their name.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

It just makes too much sence to do it this way, plus everyone thinks they deserve and need to be heard. :rolleyes:

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It didn't really sound like he was bashing them to me. He said he was "super disappointed" and the process was an "uphill struggle". He did say the quality of the fiberglass was great and the finish was good, just disappointed with the fitment.

12. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

I've sold a bunch of the sets, and mounted two sets of AB personally. I've also painted them first hand. The fit is fantastic, and the finish was super. I spent about 2 hours doing a basic wet sand with 600, never went through the primer and went straight on with base coat. Other customers of mine have had similar experience. I just painted a new upper this weekend to repair some crash damage..

And the above post about Billy moving over there is true. He's over there doing the production and making sure it's top notch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. grd264

grd264 Well-Known Member

Damn Eric......that bike looks good with white number plates on it !!

14. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

Thanks Robin . I hope to be at the next TGP round.

15. w00tw00t

w00tw00t Active Member

Just providing feedback on my experience with the bodywork - not bashing them - just posting up what I experienced while installing the set... for example the pre-marked spots on the tail section, did not line up with the mounts on the subframe at all - they were atleast half an inch off even after lining it up multiple times - I first drilled very small probe holes into the premarked spots to check alignment and thats how I found out how mis-aligned these were ..

I'll call them this week to provide the same feedback. If the mods feel this is a bash thread, then please feel free to delete it.

Perhaps I got a set off their bad batch - but then isn't that poor quality control?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  16. chadspaint

They sent me a free set a while back to check out. I looked at it and sold it the next day.. And I gave the money to Aurmor Bodies. Cause that was the right thing to do. I got a call from the guy who bought it. It was unpleasent at best. Telling me the fit and this and that was so terrible. And he said he would never buy it again.

I prepped a BMW set last night. The primer was not would I would call great, however the molds look good, it had some pretty good detail.

I am not bashing it . Just that, I am not hiding anything either. That's how I roll...

17. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

I had no issues at all with t he insall on the wifes GSX-R . Its the only body work Ive ever put on that all the oholes lined right up . She fell over with them in a sand trap @ CMP and it help up quite nicely. Granted , the Sharksinz help up better under a more severe crash, but, bang for the buck, they work pretty well.

18. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Crazy, I've sold dozens of sets, mounted 10 or more and painted 12 or more and never had an issue. Only issue I have ever had was they sent the wrong bodywork once, overnighted me new stuff for free and a return shipping tag for the other.

19. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

I've got to say I've had the opposite experience. 3 sets of armour bodies (03, 05, and on my 07 2 weeks ago). I've also had shrakskins, e-racings, Hot bodies & a old set of Morse bodies on my 03. not to mention mounting up another 8-10 sets of bodywork for others on different bikes... AB's have always fit the best (better than Shark Skins on the 600RR), and had the best finish...

20. chadspaint

What he is saying basicly is that he is having a problem. Yet people come in here and say how good the product works for them....

[​IMG]

Why not start a thread about how much you like the product and how well it works for you instead of coming in here telling him "you" don't have any problems with it?

I mean "what's up Bro handlers"?

:D