1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arm Pump and or hand numbness

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian Van, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

I have always struggled with hand and arm issues while riding. Last weekend was the absolute worst ever. As the weekend progressed it improved a bit and I was able to ride a little better, still my hands go completely numb to the point where you could smash the bastards with a hammer and I would not even blink.

I have always attributed this what I thought was arm pump caused by holding on too tightly. This same thing happens most every night when I sleep (wake up with the hands numb and a pins and needles sensation) as well as if I hold my cell phone to my ear for a period of say 10 minutes or more.

My question is for those who have had issues with arm pump did that result in your hands going numb and losing feeling to where you can not accurately control the throttle and brake?

Thanks in advance!

Van

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Before I had my leathers altered, I'd get that sensation constantly while riding. Turns out the elastic mesh stretchy stuff in the armpit of my suit was pinching a nerve/blood vessel/vein/whatever and causing it. After I got my leathers altered, I never had that sensation while riding again. It still happens on occasion when I wake up if I sleep on my arm funny.

Chiropractor was the one to diagnose it. I thought it was arm pump or compartment syndrome or something of the like. He was right. Said it's more likely to happen in everyday life on dudes with bigger arms. Literally, the weight of your own arm pinches whatever is in there that causes the pins and needles and/or numb sensation.

Maybe my problem was different from yours, but I seem to remember you having decent size arms on you. Maybe it's worth looking in to.

3. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I had the same problem. Chiropractor fixed somthing in my high back/shoulder and all is well.

4. naya the dingo

naya the dingo Well-Known Member

I get arm pump too, I feel like it used to be worse than it is now for some reason. I wake up all the time with my hands and arms completely asleep. Sometimes I can't even twist the throttle, I have to roll my hand back on it so that my fingers are extended.

5. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

My shoulders are trashed from years of contact sports and crashes.....so I wake up all the time with totally numb arms and hands. Hell, once in a while I manage to wake not being able to move either arm at all. So riding, especially over a long weekend or an open track day, gets me some arm pump. Best I could ever manage was simply juggling bar angles, lever placement, etc. to get it as good as I could to be manageable.

Also, it seems that the later in the season goes, the more it improves.....also, the more overall riding that I do, the better it gets (doing some dirt, street, etc) tho it never really goes away.

6. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I get the hand-numbness thing whenever I do hard manual labor for a day or two with my hands (hammering nails, repetitive lifting, etc) which makes me think its a swelling tissue carpal-tunnel thing. I don't really get it riding/racing thank god.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Give yourself a stranger. Why waste a numb hand?

8. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

The pins & needles sensation at night sounds more like carpel tunnel, at least with my experience with it. I also had the arm pump issues before surgery. The surgery I had was pretty noninvasive as compared to was it used to be ( from what i've heard ) I had both wrists done at the same time and was doing hare scrambles within 3 weeks.

9. Brian Van

I have been waiting for this response, suprised it took this long.

My response to this is my wife is sooo hot that would be a waste of a hard on! Who wants a stranger when you can have the real deal????

10. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

I was told by my Doc that if it's waking me up with tingling/numbness especially if it seems to be mostly the last 2 or 3 fingers (pinky, ring, and middle) that it's most likely carpal tunnel syndrome.

He had me stretch before and after I ride, by holding my fingers and pulling back toward my forearm while straightening my arm and then by making a fist and while my arm is palm down I hold the fist with my other hand and pull down and towards my forearm gently.

I also ice my wrist after each day and sometimes after each session.

My issue has gotten much better.

11. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Because the "real deal" can be a real pain in the ass.

Big Sherm likes this.
  12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

What about your thumb? :D

13. naya the dingo

naya the dingo Well-Known Member

Haha, I have absolutely no pain there what-so-ever!:crackup:

14. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

This is true....

For every hot woman there is a dude somewhere that is tired of her $hit.

Big Sherm likes this.
  15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

C'mon ... nobody?

Pics or it just ain't true. :Poke:

:crackup:

16. Brian Van

She is awesome start to finish! No pain in the ass over here sorry.

17. You were waiting for someone to say that so you could have an reason to tell everyone how hot your wife is?:rolleyes:

18. Brian Van

Negative, waiting for the "Stranger" response as I knew that one was coming for sure. Personally would prefer for this to stay on target as I would love to be able to have feeling in my hands while riding.

19. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Van, if you have a suit that is a bit loose in the arms try that one. Often times when things are snug it does what your talking about. Even if it feels ok when you put the suit on, your arms will literally 'pump up' when using them and make a snug fit a to tight fit.

20. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

^ With all the suits available to you, try a looser one.