1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are RD 350's competitive in production classes still

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by WesleyPaik, Nov 13, 2001.

1. WesleyPaik

WesleyPaik New Member

I'm on the west coast and planning to race next season in the AFM. Since there aren't any RD classes there and my bike is bone stock I am considering the production class 250-450. What do you guys think? What bikes would be dominating (FZR400's?). Would I get killed with the ancient handling of my old dog?
    Thanks

2. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

In WERA if you have more than one bike, some of us practice with the "lightweight" under 600cc modern class bikes. I run an RD and a TD-3 (250cc Yamaha production racer) in applicable vintage classes. Vintage 2 and Formula 500. When I practice with the modern lightweight class bikes it is fine on the twisty sections of the track. The problems arise with the difference in top end speed (30MPH?)and the fact that they are still going 100+ MPH when you have to begin to brake given the difference in stoppers. That's what I figure could be dangerous to race in a modern production class with even a pretty good RD.

You would probably be better off buying a cheap FZR-400 to race in a modern class.

Ciao,

Fred

3. WesleyPaik

WesleyPaik New Member

Thanks, that's what I figured.

4. Cyclephoto

Cyclephoto Well-Known Member

Good counsel Fred

5. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Gosh Fred! I'm all teary-eyed with the thought of you recommending a diesel over a two-smoke. I owe you one [​IMG]

6. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

Hey!Alfreds a good guy,unless you make him mad,then he'll try to bounce his shift lever off the top of your helmet [​IMG]

7. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

You are stalking me. [​IMG] Hell those real racing FZR 400s from Japan are going for a song these days. About the price of a Motocarrera swing arm and Works shocks for an RD. We have to be nice to those California folks who don't have WERA Vintage.

Ciao,

Fred

8. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

You did have to remind me. Lost the Mid-Atlantic Championship because of that shift lever. [​IMG] The amazing thing is that it was found and returned.

Ciao,

Fred

9. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

well if it ever happens again,I'll try and catch it for ya [​IMG]

10. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Don't tell me. You'll catch it, and as you pass me on the inside (as I'm trying in vain to shift gears) you'll hand it to me. Sounds like a great show.

Ciao,

Fred

11. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

Always willing to help a fellow racer [​IMG]