1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arai Tear offs with reflective lens

Discussion in 'General' started by 05Yamabomber, Jul 23, 2018.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

So, I have an Arai helmet with a smoked visor that has tear off posts. I bought some clear tear offs online that work good. I see the pros using tearoffs that look like reflective or iridium lens. I cannot find those anywhere online. What am I missing? RX7 Corsair X Hayden replica.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It’s just the way the light hits the visor. In several of the photos of me at Vintage Days it looks like my tear offs are mirrored and I guarantee that they aren’t. I think it’s more evident when you have 2 or more layers.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Tinted tear offs would black out your vision with tinted visor for sure....

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why would you want to pay for an iridium tear off? Not going to be cheap and you use it for a few minutes and throw it away.

It's be like buying Egyptian cotton toilet paper.

MachineR1 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I mist motor oil on mine. Keeps off any water and looks really trick. Smells nice too.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They are "reflective" but not iridium. Its simply the way the light reflects off the stacked clear plastic film.

[​IMG]

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

as others above said, it's just the way the light hits the clear tear off. here's what it looks like even on a semi-cloudy day (Barber few weekends ago for wera round).
    Corsair X, tinted visor, 1 clear tear off .
    i generally only use 1 to keep visor from getting pitted, and six lap sprints aren't long enough for me to bother with pulling a tear off mid race for a couple bugs.. i don't subscribe to the Broome method of replacing every race or 2 :) :)
    photos by Active shooter photography

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yes mine is somewhat reflective looking even though they are clear tearoffs. I was watching MA this weekend and there were some that looked more reflective. Maybe it is just the light. Yes I wouldnt pay a ton of money for them as I am a cheap bastard. I clean my tearoffs until they are scratched up then finally replace them.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

they don't have reflective tear offs. it's just the light. Your wallet is safe :)