1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RSV4 Valve Adjustment - Ohio

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kiggy74, Jun 29, 2016.

1. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Looking for a qualified Aprilia tech in Ohio that can do a valve clearance check/adjustment. It's not that I'm not willing to give it a go myself, but by the time I'd buy all the necessary tools and shims it seems like it would be cheaper to pay someone to do it. I've worked with Iron Pony in Columbus before, I'm not willing to let those guys touch it.

Honda East in Toledo is an Aprilia dealer, anyone have any experience with them?

Also, State 8 cycles is an Aprilia dealer but I don't have any experience with them either.

Any qualified techs that have their own shops or aren't at a dealership?

I'm in Columbus but I'm willing to drive a few hours if it ensures that things are done right. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

2. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

First thing you want to do is check the clearances, its very easy and requires no special tools. If they're in spec then you're good to go.

If you find an exhaust valve out of spec, that can be adjusted without any special tools but you do need to have decent mechanical skill. Go to AF1 forum and search for details.

If you find one or more intake valves out of spec, you're probably better off taking it to a qualified shop. The level of expertise needed is higher and several special tools are needed.

Good luck.

3. kiggy74

Thanks for the info. The bike has 5300 miles on it and the valves have never been checked. From what I'm reading on AF1 these bikes routinely need adjusted and are rarely in spec. There's no point in tearing it down part way when I'm going to need to take it someone else to tear it down the rest of the way. I'll just let someone else do it, good mechanics are allowed to make a living, just need to find one.

4. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

Well its your call but there's really not much "tearing down" needed to check valve clearances. If you really take your time in 2-3 hrs you'll KNOW what the clearances are. If all are OK, then button it back up and go. If not, leave the bike apart and take it to your mechanic, it will be easier for him and you'll be able to check his work.

BTW, I have a Tuono V4 with 16,600 miles and only had one exhaust valve slightly out of spec, the rest were good.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

JD Hord. Hordpower. He's a good guy and does quality work.

renegade17 likes this.
  6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I sure appreciate that Rick, but the RSV4 isn't in my bag of tricks. No experience with them at all. (but man I sure would like to have one myself)

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's a Vee...and it's different....okay then.

8. It's time consuming as hell but its nothing anyone should run away from. I haven't bought the tools at my shop yet. At the last shop I worked at they owned the stuff. It's like 350 bucks for the gear holder, 2 pins, lever and I think there was something else. If you were local I would have had an excuse to buy everything.

9. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Buying a manual, studying it, and spending $350 on tools for what will probably be one job doesn't make economic sense for me. That's just the harsh reality.

10. kiggy74

And what if you need to adjust some? Do you have to buy a whole set of shims even though you might only need one or two?

11. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I've been able to swap shims at any dealer. You are limited to what they have on hand though. The Hot Cams packs will have more specific sizes but you may only need a couple or more than they have in a pack. Maybe they offer refills??