1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Tech Discussion

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Monsterdood, May 2, 2022.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

you're good.

0100 likes this.
  2. 0100

0100 Active Member

Just heard of an engine going due to the relief valve coming loose. I am pretty sure it's a very rare occurrence, but since I had the bike apart I figured I would check mine. Mine was nice and tight, but figured mind as well safety wire it since I was already here. I didn't remove it as it seemed nice and tight and didn't want to F with it. So I am really not sure if they are one piece or two. It's part number 1A017610 but google shows no real pictures of it. The parts diagram #18 shows it as one part, but the drawing is not accurate. So who knows? I was hoping someone on here might know.

1212121.jpg

I just safety wired the silver part as that is what this guy did in this thread. But not really sure if that will stop it from un-threading. https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?372652-Oil-Pressure-Relief-Valve-Issues

3. 0100

0100 Active Member

Ok so the way I have it safety wired won't interfere with the function of the valve.

Also do you know if the silver and black part of the valve are connected? Just wondering if the way I have it wired will even prevent it from coming loose. lol

Thanks Mike!!

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

The parts diagram sure makes it look like it's one piece, in which case how you've wired it is fine.

0100 likes this.
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

It's one piece. Cleaning the threads, using red loctite and torque to spec does the job. Safety wire is just a bit of insurance.

0100 likes this.
  6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Has anyone on here sprung for the rods and head work? I know Robem is running them as well as a couple of other teams, just wondering if you're willing to discuss HP improvements.

I'm still happy with the FZ, but at Barber last year I started to run into the limitations of my front end setup and it has me dreaming Italian again. I may try fancier forks at some point this season. I heard through the grapevine that Blake is running R1M forks. Maybe a switch to FKR kit.....

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Gino, I think it's fair to say after watching Daytona that we no longer have an acceleration deficit. If you want to see the 2022 spec dyno runs overlayed with the 2023 spec dyno runs, send Matt a 660 engine to build and he'll gladly show you the gains...:)

Gino230 likes this.
  8. Gino230

How did you like yours this weekend??

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

It's bad ass. So capable with minimal work...

Gino230 likes this.
  10. 0100

0100 Active Member

Awesome, thanks guys!

11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

@Gino230 , everything I hear about the Yamaha is that front end chatter / feel is a big problem but it obviously has some window in which it works even if the chassis protests a bit. My theory is that the Rs will prepare people better for Next Gen Supersport and it is easier for us mid-packers to have a competitive setup. Plus I wonder how many Yamaha head gaskets will be used in Twins cup this year… I’m guessing a lot :p

12. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

josh Hayes’ wife was on the trackdaz podcast a few weeks ago talking about their R7 builds. They’re basically mini-superbikes to get the performance they are out of them. What I got from it was it takes a helluva lot of money and time to make them run with the aprilia.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  13. Gino230

Not to jinx it, but I'm on the third season with nothing but oil changes. I think a lot of the engine problems have been figured out and people are paying better attention to tuning them properly with the spec fuel.

Agreed about the front end. The bike runs at the front of the field so it can be done. What I've been told about the FKR carts is that they work in a wider window. The R7 doesn't put much weight on the front tire, so going into fast corners where the front can come unloaded at turn in (Barber T1) is where it struggles. Once I got my basic setup window, I haven't changed much and was comfortable. When I started to get close to the 36's at Barber I started having chatter problems in certain corners.

@mattys281-2 you're not wrong. I think the Ape is the best turnkey bike for people who want to be competitive right away. Now that the teething problems of the first batch of bikes has been figured out, the Ape is the bike to have. I was already invested in the FZ/R7 package and now I'm sitting here with 2 engines, lots of wheels, etc so It's tough to give that up.

It was funny talking to Stefano about the R7. He was like "That thing is all over the place, it doesn't do anything a normal motorcycle is supposed to do!" That was right after he set pole on it. :crackup:

14. Monsterdood

:crackup:
    I think Hayden had enough time on the Aprilia to give a good comparison between the two and he’s been at the front in both platforms, but I suspect his main issue with the Ape was lack of power / torque that first season before Robem did some of the engine development.

Gino230 likes this.
  15. 0100

0100 Active Member

What did you decide on?

I am having a hard time deciding on 180/60 or 190/60.

Anyone else running Pirelli's?

Also what size Rains are you guys running, 160/60 or 190/60?

16. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

Haven’t tried the 190 slick yet, she’s been using up the 180/60 SC2s that we had left. No complaints at all with the tire though. We’ll probably still try the 190 rear at some point soon.
    Rain rear is a 190 and we’ve had no issues with it.

17. 0100

0100 Active Member

Cool thanks. Do you run a SC2 on the front or a SC1?

18. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

SC1.

0100 likes this.
  19. 0100

0100 Active Member

^cool thanks.

So when running a motion pro tank, do you guys run it with or without a drain?

tank1.jpg
    ^WITHOUT
    tank2.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    ^WITH

20. Monsterdood

I run with it draining into my belly pan.

0100 likes this.