1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOD or NOTB

Discussion in 'General' started by Mike Henry, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Mike Henry

Mike Henry Well-Known Member

The number 666 was brought up in another thread and I was and have always wondered what the reasoning is behind these team names. I am not trying to be judgemental, just trying to understand. My kids as well as my friends and other family members have asked me questions about them that I can't answer. In the research I have done, I can't come up with anything. Sam, Melissa, or anyone that knows their story, could you please shed some light? Thanks... Speed Safely, Mike

2. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I'm interested to hear Sam and Melissa's explantions. My take was that as aetheists (which I am not) they were thumbing their noses at the religious establishment. Being aetheists would also mean that they're not Satanist.

3. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

4. IYFphoto

IYFphoto Ripper of fish lips

We're all freaks on one level or another [​IMG]

5. NewRacer

come on... you are making it look like I wasnt insulting them....

oh wait..I probably wasnt....

[​IMG]

6. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

If you haven't taken the time to read the AOD articles you should. They're educational and funny as hell.

AOD is also cool because they put me on the merchandise page. Even if it is just my back.

[This message has been edited by rfknight (edited 07-25-2001).]

7. NewRacer

stop it you guys. and join in the Sam and Melissa bash dang it.

I hate being the loner in the group....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Donno the "TRUE STORY", but its not THAT big a mystery. Just use a little common sence. Army Of Darkness... lets see it probably has to do with them being an endurance team that races in the DARK or having a black paint scheme and leather
    Neighbor Of The Beast. Thats easy, her number is "667" which is the digit next to "666". ITS A JOKE.
    or at least thats what they want you to think...
    MUHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHA

9. NewRacer

Sponsored rider!!! I hear SPONSORED RIDER!!!

j/k
    [​IMG]

10. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

If you really want to annoy Sam, then just tell him you think it's really cool that they named the team after your favorite movie. [​IMG]

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AOD was from the first Endurance they did - the 24 Hour at Nelson in the early to mid 90's. NotB has something to do with the number and strange friends of Melissa's out at Willow Springs - I figure it's a Fruit & Nuts kind of thing I wouldn't understand [​IMG]

12. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

No. Try SPONSORING rider. Since Sagrada Familia competes in SS I don't feel bad about giving money to a SB team. Nothing against Scott or Melissa but you won't see me with a NOTB shirt if and when they become available. Her leathers are really cool though.

13. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

How did AOD get pulled in with religious numerology? They are #99, and have been for a while, haven't they?

Melissa had 667 as her Novice number out at Willow Springs circa early '96, I think. She and Jodie York and others were regulars parked over in the Turn1 parking lot.

14. NewRacer

<insert foot>
    umm... ohhh.... I see...
    </insert foot>

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by NewRacer (edited 07-25-2001).]

15. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Uh... guys....

"Army of Darkness" is the third movie in the "Evil Dead" trilogy (and arguably one of the funniest spoofs on the horror/fantasy genre you will find).

"Neighbor of the Beast" using the number "667"... common, that's just plain funny - and it fits right in with the AOD motif.

I'm not sure, but I think it makes them a parody of a racing team, which makes utter and complete sense in my mind [​IMG]

- Roach

16. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

I LOVE!!!! that movie, "you ain't leading but two things, Jack, and Shet, and Jack left town" [​IMG]

NOTB I thought was obvious. #667 lives across the street from the beast, duh. Come on guys I am from CA and I figured it out.

17. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Sheila: You found me beautiful once...
    Ash: Honey, you got reeeal ugly!

For more visit:
    www.imdb.com

18. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

"This is my BOOM STICK!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun"
    "Give me some sugar baby"

19. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow.

20. aod99

aod99 Administrator

I have deep misgivings about killing the speculation on this thread by poisoning it with facts.

However, the movie was not a mitigating factor. I suppose that confirms rfknight's suggestion. However, in tribute, we all sat down and watched the movie for the first time last year. Perhaps an allegory could be made between AOD (the movie) satirizing a genre of film while we satirize a genre of racing.

Most of the members of the team tend to wear a lot of black and have/had more than a passing interest in the DC punk scene. There would also be undeniable cultural influences from David Aldana, pirates (the original privateers), and the basic sub-culture of black clad coffee drinkers. The team was originally forged to run a 24-hour race which brought it's own connotation of darkness.

A loose translation of Army Of Darkness might be: "Black clad campaigners of the black bikes" but AOD is a little more catchy. I think most people would agree that, although the name Army Of Darkness might be juvenile and, argueably, stupid, we felt it would be more memorable than:
    Team x
    x racing
    x motorsports

where x is a brand name, an acronym or a declaration.

AOD was coined with tongue in cheek and, after nine years, we still find it pretty amusing.

Religious connotations of AOD are in the minds of the beholders. There are none intended. We consider the mild pun to be on par with calling Lucas the "prince of darkness".

Of course, one of the first rules is that any response to art is valid. This allows you the freedom to interpret AOD anyway you choose.

As another point of interest, Melissa was racing as NOTB #667 in Cali for a few years before moving East and joining the WERA endurance series.

If you want a good story, ask James about the Bad Iguana.

Sam