1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried Avgas, 100LL?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by William Schneider, Aug 16, 2023.

1. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried tuning their high compression engine with avgas, 100LL? Any issues? Feedback?

It's $5.75 at my local airport, so it would be a much cheaper alternative to the 110 race gas I've been getting.

Thanks,
    Will

2. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

I've been running it in my TZ, lawn equipment and dirt bikes for years. No noticable loss of HP. Do a search...there are few threads about it.

3. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

I used to run it in high compression street cars . Lot cheaper than cam 2 if 100 octane is all that’s needed . Make sure you have no catalytic converters for LL

4. Jeveritt

Jeveritt Well-Known Member

Don't expect any real HP advantage, but I believe 100ll is more consistent and stable than regular pump gas and contains no ethanol. It will foul a 02 sensor with the lead content which can be more or less than some leaded race fuels depending on which one. I would run it in a variety of bikes and lawn equipment until I moved to a place that had consistent nonethanol fuel at the pump

William Schneider likes this.
  5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The only problem with neat Avgas is that it has a "slow" burn. It's better mixed with non ethanol pump fuel or the unleaded race fuel at most tracks.

tophyr and William Schneider like this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

There was a humorous thread here a while back about a guy trying to tune for it because his bike was running like shit. IIRC, he switched to a real race fuel and all his problems went away.

Gino230, tophyr and William Schneider like this.
  7. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

I run it in my 2stroker as well as my racebikes typically cut 50/50 with 90 efree

8. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ how does that work out? tuning wise and whatnot. The only ethanol free around me is 90 and wondering if something like AV fuel would be a halfway decent octane assist.

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

100LL is designed for engines running between 2k-3k rpm. Running it in an engine designed for 10k+ rpm is likely to cause you a lot of trouble trying to time it correctly.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I have run it on my old school. 01 R1 and 87 FZR750R race bike.
    No noticeable difference or improvements in performance... but I like the non-ethanal and added lubrication of the (LL) low lead.
    I ran it on my lawn mowers for a while....
    *** I noticed my mowers were getting harder to start when I run it in them.
    So I switched them back to pump gas ***
    But my race bikes start just fine with it.