1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone switched from I4 to V-twin racebike (Duc 848)?

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Dude, Jun 16, 2011.

1. The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

I made the switch this week, take delivery of a Ducati 848 tomorrow and am in the process of getting rid of a couple of 06 R6's. I've really enjoyed the R6 this year, had good success with it, but it seems about 70% of my club is running them. I've always wanted to give a Duc a shot, so here I am.

Anything I should know.. look for, should expect. I've got fork internals coming, have a shock lined out, typical mod's for racebike... just looking to see if anyone has input.

2. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

You'll love the torque coming out of corners and off the starts, you'll have to adjust your redline expectations and will probably bounce off the limiter a number of times as you do, and you'll find that the bike feels long and linear through the corners. Mid corner stability and tracking is great, turn in more laborious. You'll love the awesome twin sound too. It will feel narrow, and you may feel a bit cramped in hanging off as your butt hits the tail section. You'll really love how easy it is to pull the rear wheel off, although it requires a monster breaker bar to get the nut off with all that torque.

3. Wibbly

Wibbly Well-Known Member

change your main bearings before you track it.

just a hunch.

4. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

Send the engine to DucShop and let them take care of all the important stuff (main bearings, closing shim retainers, shift fork, cam timing, etc.). It's well worth the money and will save you tons of headache and $$$ in the long run.

You'll either love the power characteristics or hate them. Either way it sounds great coming off a corner!

5. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I did it last year (to a 1098S) and we did not get along at all. I did ok on it, but I didn't enjoy it. Mine was stock (no triples or links) and it was VERY hard to turn and go side to side. I know people get them to work, but coming from jap bikes it was hard. The feel from the chassis was too much for my. Always felt like it was trying to rip itself in half

6. :stupid:

Would give my left nut to have kept my 750 (instead of a 1098).

For me, the ergos are the problem. Just couldn't get comfortable on it and puts too much pressure on my surgically rebuilt wrist.

Love the capabilities of the bike, just hate the shape/bodywork/ergos.

Put that engine and front end on a Gixxer body and I'd be all over it.

7. Racer45

seating is very different too (haha 750 :)), but I really didn't mind it. Was all the chassis feeling to me

8. The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

hmm.. 1 positive post, and 5 negatives, hope I made the right choice...

9. Racer45

Not saying it's a bad bike, but a very very different feel. Everyone told me I could help the turning with triples and link, but I didn't feel like spending 2K for them

10. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Had an R6 and a Duc....sold the R6, became a Duc dealer! Hahahaha.

Seriously, the power characteristics of the Twin are hard to beat. The thing roars out of the corners with controllable authority, and sounds great doing so. That being said, the bike I'm talking about is a heavily modified 749R...current bike is 749R chassis with 848 kit.

And there you kinda get the picture...I don't think Ducati went forward with the 848/1098 chassis. Lighter than their predecessor for sure, but different enough to be a problem to many. That being said, Pegram was able to put one on the podium, and had a number of top 5 finishes while he raced one.

You'll need DucShop or Kyle triple clamps, as well as an adjustable ride height rod in back to start. The early 848's had problems with their main bearings under racing conditions...not sure if the later ones do.

I can shove my 749R into the tightest of turns without a problem...including under a number of R6's that I can recall. ;)

Good luck, and seriously consider sending the motor to DucShop. As far as the chassis goes, I'm sure you can get that together with them also.

Don't forget Matt Carr at Ducati Indy! They don't make chassis kits (that I'm aware of), but also have good experience racing the 848 motor.

11. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Will work for race gear

I loved my 1098 as my riding style fits with the twin better than the I4. I just wish it was an 848 as the 1098 was far faster than my brain was, so I had to sell it.

Get with Lenny at Race Tech and he'll hook you up on the proper settings. Oh and you DO NOT need the 30mm offset tripples to make the bike turn. But you will want the DucShop rear link to make the rear end more linear.

12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Been racing an 848 this year and raced a 1098 for 3 years.

The 848 motor is very different compared to a 1098. It performs much more like an I-4 so being on the 848 will not be as dramtic as a 1098.

Triples are not nessecary but just about everyone's set up numbers are with triples and the rear link. The rear link is needed and with that you need a shortened and revalved shock.

You have to replace the bearings in the 848/1098's. The motor is a time bomb with the stock bearings. Depending on where you live I recommend DucPond-Talk to Donnie Unger. They are located in Winchester, VA. He has committed to being at all the Summit rounds this year. Not many mechanics at his level of expertise in the WERA paddock supporting his riders. He has built a ton of these motors and my motor had the bearing replaced, blue print and a few other things;) and it is STRONG.

Send me an email at
    [email protected] if you have any specific questions. I also might have a few parts for sale soon...

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  13. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I've always wanted a 749r. Interesting to hear your opinion on the new vs. old chassis. Can you go into more detail about why you prefer the old one more?

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

2 words: engine braking.

That is why I prefer an I-4. If you can get past that, the rest is just details (to me). As far as i'm concerned, this is like asking "blonds or brunettes," or maybe "ass or boobs" is a better analogy?

either way, you're going to have opinions on both sides; but yours is what counts. Good luck on the duc.

15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

get tranny fix done before you track it or you will lose 2nd and 3rd gear within 3 race weekends

16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

What's wrong with the transmission(s)? I never had problem with any of the transmission 2 1098's and 2 848's so far... The dry clutch Ducati clutch stack height is critical but never had a transmission issue...

Ride safe,
    AAron

17. Quicktoy

Hey Aaron, my buddy Jimmy bought the very first 848 that cam into Rossmeyers in 08 and he also got the first 1098R months later, but our 3rd weekend on the bike, he had major tranny issues at CMP. Arnold Hastings was there that weekend and said he had tranny issues as well with his 848. I guess they came up with a fix for it..one person mentioned earlier about the shift forks, maybe it was that, im not sure but know they used to have tranny issues

18. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Should just look for the adam's apple........

:D

19. Quicktoy

HA. Touche

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Yea that makes sense. I was not counting the shift fork issue as a transmission issue...The shift fork springs can break or come out of adjustment. It's a simple fix with about a $10 spring but it can cause an issue when it breaks during the second practice session before a race! Lol ask me how I know!:crackup:

I will stay away from Arnie and Tranny issues! Don't want the cost of my VP going up unexpectedly! LoL!

Ride safe,
    AAron