1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone rides a MT-10?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Got bad thoughts about getting one. many moons ago, I had first gen FZ1 that I did cross county stuff on, then spend two months in Mexico on second gen FZ1, and really liked both of them. How is the latest MT-10, or is a MT-09 a better bike? I had Tiger 800 last, and really liked it. But something about the ugliness of MT is calling my name.

Any owners who can chime in? Just casual street riding, f@cking around for the most part.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I don't know how that is ever a draw, but then again people also buy the Superduke.....so I guess it's a thing with big-nakeds.

Can imagine the grin-factor in something that quick and a relatively comfortable seating position lets one overlook a busted grill.

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

They were never beauty queens. Especially first Gen FZ1's. But they got the job done.

4. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Buy a used V4 Tuono instead. 17 up has all the electronics and they are all over the place for under 12k.

turbulence likes this.
  5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Not a big fan of Aprilia, well I was hoping to like my old Mille when I bought it, but I didn't. Sold it shortly after riding in to ATL from Michigan.

6. Horrid looking bikes but a pleasure to ride in its element.

Alex_V likes this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I've ridden the MT-10 and it's an absolute blast. It has pretty much everything you want from a Tuono less the Italian (lack of) reliability. That motor is like a freight train and it is surprisingly sharp in the twistie. I say go for it. The MT-09 is also pretty cool but suffers from cheaper components (mostly suspensions).

Alex_V likes this.
  8. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

I have rode them at the shop, Fun bike but I bought a XSR900. Cheaper to buy and insure, and they are pretty close in performance for the street.

Alex_V likes this.
  9. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

I’ve been mobbing one around a little, and it’s really quite fun. Compared to an R1, it’s pretty clean and feels like a ripper just rolling it on from down low. Add the riding position and it feels like it accelerates even faster. But I haven’t ridden many bikes on the street for comparison.

Alex_V likes this.
  10. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

maybe you're not riding the R1 hard enough?

:D

masshole, TurboBlew and YamahaRick like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My riding buddy has an MT-10. And, I have a Tiger 800XCx, as well.

I love riding that MT-10. I love everything about it, except short travel suspension and zero wind protection. Otherwise, the suspension works really well, once dialed in. That engine, with QS behind it, is sublime. The seat is a board, with any distance. Abysmal fuel range (~100mi). Nice dash display. Electronic cruise control. More comfortable than a Tuono. I love the stubby feeling of it, as it almost feels like a toy. The MT-10 makes me want to sell other bikes to buy one.

I wish Yamaha would come out with a Tracer GT version of the MT-10, with a fairing, bigger tank, ~6” suspension travel, and call it an FJ1000. I’d probably trade my Triumph for one.

scottn likes this.
  12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

The fuel range makes me think of my old SuperHawk - not a deal breaker, but sucks when you are middle of nowhere with no gas stations in sight.

ducnut likes this.
  13. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Mt09 here. Great bike that's all about the motor. Suspension and brakes need work along with a seat thats not very comfortable. Put an Akrapovic full system on mine and quickshifter. Sounds awesome and runs fantastic.

scottn likes this.
  14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Reading his post made me think the same thing, that it sounded like my Superhawk.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a 14 fz09. replaced the seat, exhaust, suspension and remapped. now it's damn near perfect. :clap:

scottn likes this.
  16. SirCrashAlot

What seat did you put on yours?

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

A guy from Tennessee who is now retired. he customized it to fix the forward slope.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  18. SirCrashAlot

Thanks. That's the only thing for me that keeps it from being an all day bike.

19. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Every time I look at them and get excited I just can't get past the transformer looking front end. I've tried to talk myself into one multiple times. It's a total deal breaker for me.
    100 miles of range is terrible which doesn't help.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wouldnt care how it looks all that matters is how it rides. I did some test rides on one and its ptobably the 1 bike that would be good for street and track with minimal prep if you were just limited to 1 bike in the stable. Wouldnt even bother with a pipe... just some boingers and a spare set of wheels.