1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone race a 2k3 gsxr 1000

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bmfgsxr, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

ill be racing my 1k this year.. i had my 600 set up great. handled like it was on rails.. im basically looking for some geometry numbers to see what works best on this bike as an average.. i realize everyone likes a bike to handle a certain way, but just a starting point might get me going in the right direction.. i will be running stock suspension as well.. :rolleyes: budget is tight this year so far so i have to do what i have to do.. i also run dunlops. ;)

any help would be appreciated.

2. GrahamB

GrahamB Well-Known Member

You're nuts :)

I tried racing an 02 R1 for a while: suspension set-up is way more critical on a 1000 because of the power. They will hurt you if you don't get it right :(

Besides, getting a revalve of shock & forks will cost about 3 pairs of tyres, which you'll easily destroy if your shock is wrong. You do know how fast 1000's destroy tyres?

3. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

You can use the 600 shock on the 1000. It just needs a bit stiffer spring and maybe a revalve.

4. GrahamB

GrahamB Well-Known Member

You'll need to shim it too, unless it's from a 2004 600: the K3 1000 shock is 7mm longer than the K1-3 600 shock. Easily done.

5. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

yes i am nuts.. lol but besides that i do want to give it a rip. i know i will destroy tires. but im not going to be doing a lot of racing this season or next due to saving for a house. ill have to see how it goes my first race weekend this season (which ill probably spend the whole time finding something that is reasonable)..

but thanks for the ideas guys..:beer: