1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here ever lived in a travel trailer?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'm considering it. My house and yard is too big for me to keep up with by myself. Plus I stand to make a healthy profit if I sell soon. Been looking around a bit. Some pretty cool stuff out there. My price range is about 35k. I will go as high as 50k if worth it.

Thanks

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

How will you receive dildos in the mail if you sell your house? There are mail forwarding services for people who live on the road or if you're going to be staying local you'll need a PO box that you can post on here.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

In on page 1 before this beotch goes down hill! :clap:

dtalbott likes this.
  5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Live in a Van .. down by the River

6. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I spent about 4 years living in one because my work required that I traveled throughout the States spending anywhere from 3-6 months in one location and I did not want to do the hotel/restaurant thing. I needed to be in a situation where I cleaned it and did not have to worry who was in it before me and also about a week of restaurants is enough for me.

Here is what I learned, most are not made for full time living. the cabinets are made to store enough things for "roughing" it a few days. Most have small refrigerators and make keeping more than a few days of food difficult. Also they are not constructed with materials that are up for the stress of extended living. Carpet, furniture etc. will fail rather quickly unless you go high end. Also I am not sure of the climate you will be living in but this is another consideration as well.

If you are going to remain in one area I would cruise the local campgrounds and look for park models that are for sale, they are constructed more towards full time living. Also depending on your area get the rules and regulations of where you plan on parking it. Most municipalities will not allow it and many campgrounds have limited "full-time" sites and have rules governing them. I have encountered many that will not allow any units more than 10 years old in their facility.

Here where I am you can buy mobile homes on rented lots cheaper than you can park a camper in a campground, and most mobile home parks have lawn care etc. included and you will have much more space.

Remember if you have not owned a travel trailer they can be maintenance nightmares, require special parts, only have 10 gallon water heaters etc. and if you start upgrading them with house type things, i.e. removing the holding tank and installing a regular toilet, putting in a residential fridge etc. the value drops greatly.

Metalhead likes this.
  7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Buy a condo.

G2G, Scotty87 and cha0s#242 like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you want a towable?
    The 5th wheel type seem to be the most popular with people I know that have to live on jobsites or closeby. Otherwise there are 600 sq ft tiny houses that offer the towable feature but are built much nicer than any camper.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Man that's good stuff thanks.

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Get a boat

11. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Move in with a hottie and let her take care of you in your Old Age :D

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Come see my (30ft) camper and I can tell you 25 reasons why you wouldn’t want to live in there longer than a month at a time.

you can also look up FB groups or forums on “full-timing” … the one toy hauler group I’m in has people contemplating going full time every now and then.

Metalhead likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

15. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

people are making homes from shipping containers rather cheap. Just need a spot to plop it down and hook up services without water freezing

Metalhead likes this.
  16. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I lived in a 32 footer with no slideouts for about 8 months while I worked on a contract job about 5 hours away. I would sometimes travel home for the weekends, so I guess I wasn't truly "living" in it full time. I worked long hours so I didn't spend a lot of time in the trailer. I also ate out a lot. If you cook anything with any kind of aroma or burn something, you will be living with the smell for a while which can get nauseating.

Winter was challenging as most RV's are not really 4 season, even the ones that claim they are. I rigged up some heated cord around my water hose to keep it from freezing and was glad to have a furnace that worked well. It had a permanently attached propane tank so I had to take the whole RV offsite to refill which was more frequent than I would have liked in the winter. Easy solution to that is to have a couple of external tanks that can be swapped out and taken to the propane station.

I would do it again but I wouldn't want to do it full time without some slideouts. Those extra few feet make a huge difference inside.

Metalhead and Ducti89 like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hire a kid to mow the lawn and someone to clean the place once a week or so.

People we know from back home cashed out their house at the top of the market, sold their business, they retired and bought a crazy expensive motorhome, some ghey ass little car to tow behind it and were gonna drive around the country and live here for a few months and there for awhile and all that shit. Seemed to be a big thing up there again. Expensive parking, limited showers, space and just a pain in the ass that they weren't expecting.

Lasted maybe 8 months before they hated it and now, can't find a home to buy where they can store their rolling condo (can't sell it for anything close to what they paid).

I guess you could try and do it or the trailer route but like someone said, get a condo (but that comes with it's own issues).

Metalhead likes this.
  18. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

19. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

From now till Friday take 3 minute max showers, do not leave the footprint where you stand.
    At 2:30 send it to full cold........get back to us...

G2G and dobr24 like this.
  20. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Just about any RV is built to a weight and price point. They are generally "flimsy" and not built to be lived in full time. Think Luan, furring strips and a lot of staples.

Generally, an RV has a life span (with intermittent use) of about 10 years. Living in one will accelerate the wear and tear exponentially.

Another thing to think about is that you are selling an appreciating asset to acquire a depreciating asset.

Metalhead, thunderalley3 and 88/532 like this.